| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1993 Espace - heater fan only works on fastest (4th) setting?  (Read 4377 times)
THERACEFACE

« on: September 26, 2006, 08:11:09 pm »

My Espace interior heater fan was working fine until today. Now it only works on the fastest (4th) setting? I can hear the relay clicking when I turn the fan on but it only works once it's on the 4th setting. This fault is the same regardless of the direction setting (screen, feet, face, etc.)

Has anyone had the same thing happen and know the cause?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:52:03 pm »

Now it only works on the fastest (4th) setting?

Yep, been there done that. :-)

First of all, there are two relays involved - and at least one (or two?) fuses.
Check this diagram:
www.matrasport.dk/vault/espace_j63_ventilation_diagram.png

the most likely cause is the resistor '298' to the right on that diagram.

The system is made as cheaply as possible (accountants rule!) - and thus the different speeds are simply obtained by burning off the excess power in a resistor (!)
So if you use level 1 or 4 doesn't matter - it will pull the same amps from the supply.

This fan-resistor obviously gets rather hot, and has thus been placed in its own airstream - which make sit last longer (GOOD!) - but at the same time makes it a bugger to get at.. (BAD).

It CAN be done though, - from the engine side. Remove wipers, and disassemble the heater airbox - there shoud be a connector on the lefthand (car-centric) side.

The german spoken  www.espace-freunde.de has a very well written howto here:
http://www.espace-freunde.de/modelle/j63/anleitung/widerstand/widerstand.html
with nice pictures and everything.

The resistor itself is on the expensive side (in the region of 50EUR, as I recall), but thats still nowhere near the amount of hours you'd pay for, if you delivered the car to a dealer to have this fixed .-)

PS: To be fair, it is not only Renault who used this cheap solution for fan-speeds, - nearly every manufacturer did - including "ever reliable" VW and Toyota. Nowadays I think this is commonly controlled by a computer and some thyristors ... not that this makes me any happier to be honest.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0d 2012 white // Smart 4two cdi 2010 blue //
THERACEFACE

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:01:17 am »

You've been a great help Lennart. Looks like I'll be a busy man over the next few weeks. Many thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: