| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many Murenas in UK  (Read 3018 times)
Tricky Dicky

« on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:13 pm »

Does anyone know out of interest how many Murena's are left in the UK. Just out of curiosity as well as for knowledgeable reasons when asked by people how many Marena's are there we can answer X amount left in the country.
Tricky Dicky
Jorgen Kristensen

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:22 pm »

Have you tried asking Roy Gillard (roy@matraclub.org.uk), who obviously would know or at least have an idea about the amount of Matra driving around UK.

Roy is the Murena technical advisor for the Matra Enthusiasts Club UK. The site (and the club) is very active and the site is well known for a very informative faq:

http://www.matraclub.org.uk/faqs.html.

Regards Jorgen

Matra Murena 2,2s ('83)
Peugeot 307sw 2,0 ('05)
Peugeot 107 1,0 ('06)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:13:15 pm »

Does anyone know out of interest how many Murena's are left in the UK. Just out of curiosity as well as for knowledgeable reasons when asked by people how many Marena's are there we can answer X amount left in the country.

This is a difficult one to answer accurately Richard, since no-one really knows the actual amount that have been imported in the first place.  Many were incorrectly registered with DVLA so it is no use asking them - I have mentioned this in another topic answer, but a search on DVLA will only provide details as accurate as the info. on their database, and as far as Matra is concerned that is hopeless!  Think about it - a Matra could be registered under Chrysler, Simca, Talbot or a combination of any of those and Matra as in Matra-Simca or Talbot-Matra.  One Murena I bought was registered as a Talbot 4 door saloon and another as a Talbot '2 axle rigid body' so you can see, they would never show up under either a Matra or Murena search.  There are probably many like this.

You might think a better search might be under the chassis number but Matra have changed their numbering system a few times and again I'm afraid those records are not as accurate as you would expect, and as we are now finding under the computerised M.o.T.  I have had to correct a number of cars already which are recorded at DVLA with incorrect V.I.N.

I have records on over 200 Murena and it's possible that as many as 250 to 300 have been imported.  However, some have since been damaged and scrapped, some re-exported and many are lying unused as the owners have never got around to doing the repairs required to put them through an M.o.T. or just to make them usable again.  Not all owners joined the MEC UK, or if they joined they never provided us with their car details, and I know of people with Murena who are not members even today, but I don't know if their cars are taxed and on the road or not.  So I cannot totally rely on my knowledge or our club records either.  Consequently, the only figure I can give at this moment is that we know of only about 35 - 40 definitely on the road.  Everytime I attend a meeting or see one on the road it gets logged.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:15:45 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Tricky Dicky

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:51 am »

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable answer very much appreciated, now I can reply with an air of knowledge when people ask me at local shows "how many are left mate" or "you don't see many of them anymore how many are there still on the road"
Richard
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: