| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: some small problems with murena 1.6  (Read 9004 times)
Oskar

« on: June 17, 2008, 10:40:02 am »

this car is wounderful but have some flaws  Roll Eyes Grin

The engine is very hard to start when the car has been standing for at least 24hours. choke or no choke makes no different. It just have to tugg on the starter for a very long time and eventually it starts. Any ideas?

And the dash, the lights are so freaking weak on the information lights such as light, brakes etc.  (Not revcounter!)

last question, I cant find the oilstick. There is one electric but is it the same for manual reading?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31:57 pm »

Try pumping a few times with the accelerator pedal before cranking. The accelerator pump would then supply a bit of fuel in the manifold that should ease ignition. Keep the accelerator pedal about 1/3rd depressed when you crank it so it get's plenty of air in. There could also be an air leak so the engine actually runs lean when running normally - meaning you can't give it enough choke, or the choke mechanism could be fouled.

If you have a strong smell of petrol in the engine compartment it could indicate that the carb is leaking so the float chamber is more or less dried out.

Dash lights: These lights are weak, I'm afraid. Wearing sunglasses, I can't see the green indicator for the sidelights for example.

The dipstick on the 1.6 is connected to the electric oil level measurement, so I think you need to unplug that to check the oil level manually - which is a good idea: Never rely on the electronics Wink

Hope this helps a bit Smiley

- Anders
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:33:49 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Oskar

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:28:36 pm »

thanks  Grin

I do have a strong petrolsmell under the hood. What is leaking? Can it be fixed easy?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Oskar

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:22:16 pm »

how do I proceed if my float chamber is leaking?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:38:59 pm »

how do I proceed if my float chamber is leaking?

You'll have to take the carb off to inspect it for cracks. If it has cracked and is leaking, you should start looking for a new carb. If not, then new gaskets and seals will cure most problems. I think Simon has a kit. Make sure you get one with a new needle valve too. Give the carb a good cleaning too as the fuel can leave a chewing gum like black substance that can block the little channels in it.

There's a reasonably good description of the 1.6 carb in section B4 of the workshop manual, if you have that?

I'm not experienced with the Weber carb of the 1.6, but working on it shouldn't be difficult. Carbs are dead simple devices and usually don't go wrong unless they are dirty or leaking. Just remember that the fuel fumes can burn, so be careful not to spill any fuel from the carb when you take it off the manifold. Pour it into a jar with a sealing lid when you have split the carb.

- Anders

Used to own:
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:51:36 pm »

How old are your spark plugs?

Oskar

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:12:22 am »

ive been doing some testing and following was confirmed:
after kranking say 1-2sec, doing a halt and then pressing the throttle abit, it will then start directly. I think it gets to little fuel. The small burst of fuel from the pedal makes it start.

Im having full choke when starting but it doesnt seem to help at all.

The tank leaks from the fillinggap whn its full tank Sad    it seems to sit correct but I gues its seelings are worn.  Crap

ohh yes, another problem seem to arrive. When going over some holes or bumps it slams or nocks little from rear left suspension. Im glad this is not a volvo, then ther would be nothing to fix  Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:14:21 am by Oskar » Logged

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 09:44:31 am »

Im having full choke when starting but it doesnt seem to help at all.

That's too much for summer. Try giving it less.

The tank leaks from the fillinggap whn its full tank Sad    it seems to sit correct but I gues its seelings are worn.  Crap

A filler cap from a Citroen AX fits nicely!

And take care only to fill the tank with the engine cold, otherwise the heat from the engine will cause the fuel and air in the tank to expand and cause an overflow. The suggestion I got from Roy was to always fill the tank on the start of a jurney - or not fill it all up.

ohh yes, another problem seem to arrive. When going over some holes or bumps it slams or nocks little from rear left suspension. Im glad this is not a volvo, then ther would be nothing to fix  Roll Eyes Grin

Haha! Cheesy Well there could be several reasons for this, but you should be able to spot it if you jack the rear up.

Used to own:
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 06:57:31 pm »

Someone got rid of the problem puting a returnvalve between pump and carb.
It prevents gasoline running back to the tank.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: