| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Release valve for headlights.  (Read 5771 times)
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« on: September 13, 2008, 05:26:42 pm »

Hi,
upon refitting the front boot in my Murena, the pressure release valve for the headlights won't stop hissing and the lights won't stay up. If I hold it shut, the lights go up and the engine idles better, but if I let go, they sink. I can keep it squeezed shut with a jubilee clip, but the light won't go down then.

How should this thing work??

Cheers,

Antony
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:42:27 pm »

Hi Antony

There's a metal piece sitting over the valve - it's probably pushing on the valve preventing it from sealing in either of the positions. Bend it slightly to stop the hissing and you'll be all right again.

(I've been there, and done it - and it works Wink )

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:10:43 am »

I did try that, but couldn't bend it enough in place and if I bent it removed, in replacing it, the metal bent bck again.
I'll try again this morning.

Also, there are 2 electrical connectors on the underside, should these be attached to anything?

Cheers,

Antony
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »

Yes, there should be two leads inside the boot.  The first should have a 12 volt signal whenever the headlights are on (full beam or dipped) the second is an earth.  It doesn't matter which way round they are connected.  When the headlights are on, the metal plunger should move in and when they are off the valve should release under spring pressure.  This routes the vacuum to the appropriate port on the valve to raise or lower the lights.
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »

Sorted, thanks guys. Car is now ready for a bit of hibernation while I rebuild the gti engine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: