| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Milage for a 1998 Espace 2.2 dt  (Read 18789 times)
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 08:28:34 am »

Well... the method you mention will probably work. But from my point of view it's sad that you have to stress the engine unnecessary (low gear / high revs) to get it through inspection.

I was told to do the same thing, which was the reason why I complained about the test and the mot inspector.

An old trick is to adjust the throttle cable or fuel pump so that it will not take full revs!

Apart from that most of the soot is caught in the exhuast pipe and silencer so it shouldn't take much spirited driving to clean up the system.

Do you know which values you got?
My Toyota 2.2 TD from 1998 with 345.000km needed to have the test done twice. 1st showed around 3%, 2nd 1.4%. Though I can't remember the exact numbers.
The tests where done with 5 seconds in between.
I believe the limit is 2% for a turbo diesel, though I'm not sure.

Otherwise the sure thing is to physically clean the exhuast pipe and silencer, but that's a rather big task.

I would give a good run at >3000 rpm on the motorway, and a few quick accelerations.
If the test is passed then, ask him to do a 2nd.
And ak him what he thinks of the test method at the same time  Wink

Good luck...

Hi Waldo
Can you recomend any special preparation for the diesel engine before the inspection / test?

My description above is as the MoT guy told me was a way to get the vehicle through the test.

Before the first test of my Espace I did not do any preparation or repair at all, I just showed up at the MoT workshop with the car in the condition in which I collected it in Germany.

Hans
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 02:07:45 pm »

Hi
The limit for my Espace is 3%. I gues that different years has different values.

The first test gave 10% and after a couple of tests the value dropped to 6%, so there was still a long way to go.

I agree with you the test is meaningless, and damaging for the engin.

regards HANS
BrianM

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »

One thing to consider id the quality of the oil. Due to the nature of the diesel engine it is not long before the oil is contaminated with carbon! I allways flush my engine oil until the oil if clean of any carbon deposits. Sometimes it takes two or three changes to achieve this. See if you can get any 'Forte' injector cleaner & run this neat directly into the pump & return into the container untill it is all used.
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 03:48:42 pm »

Hi
My Espace passed the MoT today.
I took the rather radical approach and installed a new exhaust pipe from the cat and back. I got the exhaust system (Walker) from kfzteile24 in Berlin for app. 250€. The old exhaust system will be reinstalled immediately, and the new “pipe” will be stored for the next MoT inspection 2 years from now.
I also added some diesel engine cleaning fluid to the diesel, and then took the Espace for fast run up and down of the motorway.
During this motor way run I got a shock: As I was approaching 160 km/h in 4th gear the engine stalled. I was already thinking of how to get hold of a tow car. However the only problem was that the rev-limiter had cut in, which it does in a rather brutal way.

Hans
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »

My Espace passed the MoT today.

Hooray, Hans! Congratulations Smiley

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v