| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: taking out the engine  (Read 19504 times)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:11 pm »

By the way... did you get any further towards solving your engine trouble Bart?
murramor

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:06 am »

I am thinking about taking my engine out (1.6) so I can more easily do some rust repairs.  I see that part of the process is to remove the rear trailing arms.

Presumably one can reattach the trailing arms once the engine is out so as to keep the car rolling and able to be put on a trailer to take to the panel beater?  I would expect that the drive shafts would have to be suspended with straps or something to keep the car rolling?

regards
Ron Murrell
Sydney

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »

You only need to remove the left hand trailing arm.  You can then raise the rear of the car and pull the engine and gearbox complete through the left hand wheel arch.  I don't see any reason why you can't replace the arm to move the car, provided you tie up the drive shafts to stop them trailing on the ground.
matramurena

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

You can easily reassemble the trailing arm and then move the car around. Just make sure you raise the drive-shafts with a strap and that they can turn freely.

Lowering the engine out of the bay I think is easiest by laying a big heavy wooden bar with two large threaded rods in it over the engine-bay. At the bottom you attach eyes to which you strap the engine with  a decent strap, at the top you need large rings and nuts so you can slowly raise/lower the engine.

Works also with the Murena engine...

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 07:59:53 am »

matramurena: how long this will take?

My way is to demounting both rear axles with having a car up on two jacks and then I move down on them till it lies on the crankcase. Than I simply demount all 3 silentblocs and move car up again - than simply take out the engine. It all takes 3 hours also with mounting back the rear axles - and 2 hours from this time is for demounting both S carburetors  Cheesy

Oskar

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 01:43:09 pm »

nice idea with the big screws :-)
dont forget to dismantle the alternater before dropping the engine. it will be to close to the shield for fueltank

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 06:22:51 pm »

It's easier to just remove the left hand arm and pull the engine out through the wheel arch because you don't have to lift the rear of the car so high.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: