| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena Rust  (Read 4876 times)
murramor

« on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »

I have take off the sill covers of my car.  I was surprised to find that, in spite of all the accumulated road dirt which can hold water, the sills were in good galvanised condition.  The exception was to the rear of the car near the rear trailing arms where there was a badly rusted portion.  This section was filled with some sort of expanding foam (I don't know if this was factory original but I have no reason to believe otherwise).  This foam has quite open cells and appears to have absorbed water at some stage.

I know that my car is particularly bad but it has spent the last 10 years of its life indoors in a dry environment so almost all of the rust happened in the first 17 years of its life.  It may be worthwhile to have a look at your cars in this area.

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Oskar

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:05 am »

interesting.  thats alot of rust  Sad
I have some in the front, below the windscreen, think its the area where cupefan operates and windscreen wipermotor.

hows the condition of your rear trailingarms?

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
murramor

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:14:30 am »

hows the condition of your rear trailingarms?

I got Will Falconer to replace them before he shipped the car to me in 1998 so they look OK and certainly should still be in good condition in this dry climate. 

I have to take the windscreen out so I hope no horrors are revealed when I do so! 

The non galvanised plates over the heater fan and near the brake booster are rusted but I have new ones and they have been powder coated. 

The mounting brackets  for the front wings and the rear skirt are almost completely rusted through (they were not galvanised originally but the replacements are).  Another area to be aware of because one day it will be only a few rivets holding the bits on!

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: