| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "Normal" vs. "S" side skirts  (Read 30032 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: March 19, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »

Does anyone have pictures that show the difference between the side skirts on a "Normal" versus a "S" Murena? I have looked in Simon's catalog, but you really can't tell the difference and the pictures I find online are not conclusive, given the many mods that people put on.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:21:12 pm »

Side skirts??... as far as I know a standard Murena hasn't any sideskirts
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:09:00 am »

Murena 1,6 and 2,2 was originaly looking like this:

And Murena 2,2 S has these sideskirts:

Anything else is NOT original and this case is exactly my point - there is so much of tuning and conversions, that people don't know what is original and what isn't  Sad

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »

Thanks for the pics. I like the look of the Murena with "S" side skirts. Cool When I first got mine I thought there was something "missing" from the side. It looked unfinished, somehow. So I looked for side skirts and found that Simon had two partnumbers in their catalog, 14091/092 for "Normal" and 14093/094 for "S".

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Murena IRL

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:45:21 pm »

Where can u get them from? How much are they?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »

Think Simon has them... not cheap though..
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:36:53 am »

Side skirts??... as far as I know a standard Murena hasn't any sideskirts

A standard Murena does have 'side-skirts' in so much as it has fibre glass sill covers to hide or clothe the galvanised chassis, but they were black and recessed, unlike the 'S' versions which protrude.  Whilst the standard covers simply rivet on, you need brackets to attach the 'S' sills, and these rust through, so many need or will have had to repair or replace them by now.

Whilst the 'S' sills can look better in some cases, one reason the designer chose the original black recessed type was that they reduce the apparent height of the car when viewed from the side.  The eye only sees the coloured section between the roof and bottom of door/wings, and as the car is quite short for it's height, it gives a better proportional and pleasing vision.  The 'S' sills can accentuate the cars 'dumpy' looks.

A second problem with the 'S' sills is a practical one - Most of the cars I have seen with them, the paint work on them suffers badly from scuffing as peoples shoes catch or rub them on entering and exiting, so after a while they look bad.  You simply don't get this with the standard sill.

Roy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »

Whilst the 'S' sills can look better in some cases, one reason the designer chose the original black recessed type was that they reduce the apparent height of the car when viewed from the side.  The eye only sees the coloured section between the roof and bottom of door/wings, and as the car is quite short for its height, it gives a better proportional and pleasing vision.
Interesting point.  I wish I'd known that when I had the sill off to do the gearbox.  It would be difficult to change the colour with the sill on the car.  I don't like to keep removing the panels because the holes in the GRP seem to get slightly enlarged every time.  I tried glueing 5mm steel washers to the inside to act as reinforcement last time, but it wasn't very successful.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 06:03:40 am »

A second problem with the 'S' sills is a practical one - Most of the cars I have seen with them, the paint work on them suffers badly from scuffing as peoples shoes catch or rub them on entering and exiting, so after a while they look bad.  You simply don't get this with the standard sill.

I'd like to add, that they also pick up a lot of dirt from the road. I think many of the scratches mine receives are actually made on the road.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »

Here are some true "S" side spoilers for sale:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/43500809.htm?ca=7_s

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 08:45:06 pm »

He he .. I was actually considering buying a set of those side skirts..
But you guys convinced me that they are more trouble than they are worth.. and yahh.. the car DOES look a lot "thinner" without them...

So.. you just saved me 300 euroes + p&p...  Wink
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:11 am »

Better for You  Wink

But there must have been a reason, why they put them on Murena S in Romorantin  Wink

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »

Michaltalbot, your pictures seem to be missing...

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
matramurena

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »

The picture of the S-side skirts seems to be missing... However, I have side-skirts on my Murena and I love them. Without them a Murena looks to be missing something because the front spoilers is lower then the section between the wheels. The skirts are about the same hight and therefore the car looks beter in my eyes..

I have no problems with scratches from entering/leaving the car and also the dirt from the road on them is not too bad...

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
TimS

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »

Does anyone know the paint code for the Black paint on the side sill covers of the 2.2?

Should it be gloss or Matt?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: