| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Headlamp level motor wiring  (Read 4633 times)
voyager

« on: April 20, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »

Hi everyone.

I'm doing a bit of a conversion.
I've got a 2 litre 1993 Espace and it's headlamp level adjuster cable system is jammed.
Rather than just replacing the cable mech I decided to fit electric adjusters as per later models.
I've got a pair of suitable motors from a later model but need the circuit diagram.
I would prefer not to have to go out and spend money I can't afford on a manual for the later model just for the diagram.
Can anyone help please ? maybe someone with a Haynes manual for a later model which has electric headlamp motors can scan the page and send it please.

Many thanks
Paul
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:17 am »

Hi everyone.

I'm doing a bit of a conversion.
I've got a 2 litre 1993 Espace and it's headlamp level adjuster cable system is jammed.
Rather than just replacing the cable mech I decided to fit electric adjusters as per later models.
... maybe someone with a Haynes manual for a later model which has electric headlamp motors can scan the page and send it please.

Many thanks
Paul

It's not that simple I'm afraid Paul since the auto adjusters are controlled by the computer and level sensors attached to the front and rear suspension.  The law states that cars with Xenon headlamps must have auto control to prevent dazzle, so it is all originally engineered to the car such that any lowering of the rear of the car automatically dips the headlamps.

I'm not sure there is a Haynes manual for a series three Espace?

Roy
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:07:05 am by roy4matra » Logged

Elmo the Espace

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:59 am »

Hi Paul,
The headlight level system works on a fluid displacement system, when you turn the dial it pushes two small plungers in to their barrels which displaces fluid which looks like anti freeze water mix.
what happens over a period of time the fluid leeks or evapotates with air and engine temperature changes.
I have refilled mine by removing the trim under the steering colum, then remove the speedo unit.
lift the dial up in to the space the speedowas in then strip down the dial the only problem will will have is removing the center screw that holds the spring plate in i used long nose pliers then replaced it with a posidrive self tapper.
With the plungers removed you then top up and refilt the plungers plate and spring.
With the help of some one push the plate in by hand and check both head lights move up and down the same.
As the he system has no link between the headlights you will find that one head light will drop before the other one which will need adjusting before you use your espace before night.
If you replace the complete system you will need to remove the upper dash.
I have seen a older espace which the owner had removed the adusters cut the body where the pipes go in and made a plastic  plate up and used a manual bolt to adjust the headlight.
All the espaces i have owned from 1988 to1995have used this system.

1965 Land rover 2a SWB
1966 Land Rover 2a SWB
2 x 1994 2.0i Espace's
Transit 140 bhp limited SWB 2009
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: