| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Replacing the original speakers  (Read 9181 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: May 09, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »

Well, comments have been made in other posts, that the sound system in the Murena at cruising speed is provided by the engine, as no stereo can overpower that.  Grin

Thinking about that I decided that it was just a matter of the insufficient power handling of the original speakers. They were cheap, low power paper cone, with a pewny magnet. I took them out and measurted the mounting depth available and ordered a pair of Monacor CRB-130CP coaxial 80W speakers. They should have fit, but didn't, because the more powerful magnet was too large in diameter. In the chassis there is a cone shaped indention just besides the foot rest (if your car has such a thing) and on the passenger side too. It looked like there was a plastic ring glued into this indention. First I thought it was preventing the speaker from fitting. I successfully remover it, only to find out that it was a plug that had been inserted from the OUTSIDE and I destroyed it in the process.  Angry That is why there is now a new, home made, nylon plug seen in the photo below.

After surveying the options it became clear that the only way to mount these speakers was to put a spacer underneath them. But, alas, the foot rest did not provide enough clearance. Move the foot rest? No. The foot rest is welded to the chassis from what I can see. Solution. Cut 2 cm off the side of the foot rest with a power saw. First I cut off the side that was bent up at a right angle. Then I cut 2 cm notches in from the side at top and bottom of the flat part. Then I bent the 2 cm flap up to 90 degree instead of the piece I had cut off. Finally I cut triangular pieces off the top and bottom part to meet up with the new bent part. The result is that there now is an extra 2 cm of space for the speaker with a spacer behind it. It all fits with 4 mm to spare. Grin

The first photo shows the new nylon plug  Smiley and the foot rest after bending up the new lateral support up and cutting the top triangular piece off. On the bottom of photo 2, you can see the original width of the foot rest.  At the top of that photo you can see that a triangular piece has been cut off flush with the new bend. the bottom two photos show the finished result.
This new setup (there is also a set of speakers in the doors, mounted by a previous owner) plays plenty loud and clear, to provide pleasant sound above the engine, even at 120 kph. Cool
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:44:39 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:21:35 pm »

You made a lot of work of it.
In the Murena there is no way of fitting speakers at a right location.
In the doors your'e *ss is always blocking the sound, and down unther is also a bad spot.
I think the best spot would be in the ceiling, just besides the antenne to a make console with radio in the midlle and speakers beside it.
At the same tim fit a webasto roof to have some mounting possebillity's for it.
There is some space behind there.

Also  the isolation is 2 cm thick.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Oskar

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:52:01 pm »

why not make a long speaker that can also act as fotrest for the passengers.  plenty of room

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:08:29 pm »

Here's my solution.
They are positioned where the doorpockets use to be.

A piece of mdf wood in the same shape as the door pocket, lined with original rooflining.

Very happy with them.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:24:14 pm »

That is the best spot possible in the Murena.
Mine were already installed when I bought the car and they are placed here Cry

I have to leave them there if I don't want looking at 2 holes.
However, a solution would be to make a filter to let them play only the lower tones.
It doesn't matter from what direction the lower tones come from.
You can't hear that.
Then place mid and high tone speakers in the ceiling.
Think this wil give the optimal sound for the Murena.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:27:11 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
JV

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:25:38 pm »

However, a solution would be to make a filter to let them play only the lower tones.
It doesn't matter from what direction the lower tones come from.
You can't hear that.
Then place mid and high tone speakers in the ceiling.
Think this wil give the optimal sound for the Murena.

I agree, was thinking about the same kind of solution.

Jan

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:40 pm »

You made a lot of work of it.
In the Murena there is no way of fitting speakers at a right location.
In the doors your'e *ss is always blocking the sound, and down unther is also a bad spot.
My Murena also has speakers in the doors. It was apparently set up for a 4 channel system, which is good because the Blaupunkt stereo I installed is 4 channel.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:32:52 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: