| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Solar Panel - Where can I connect it?  (Read 7176 times)
TheJoker

« on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:46 am »

Hi Guys,

I just bought a cheap solar panel from Maplin. The reason is simple; I don't want the car to discharge as I don't use it on a daily basis. It comes with a cig-lighter plug and crocodile clips. I can obviously connect it straight to the battery, but that's cumbersome. It would be better to connect it somewhere within the coupé. Cig-lighter plug would work, but the Espace is nice enough to turn the sockets off when you turn the "ignition" off.
What I'm therefore looking for is a 12V cable that's connected to the battery somehow, somewhere in the coupé. It doesn't have to be thick at all, as the panel only generates a maximum of 2.4W.

Does anyone have a good suggestion? Thanks!!  Cool

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:19:04 pm »

I would pull a new cable + and - with a fuse near the battery.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:48:12 am »

Really..?  Huh Is that because there's no suitable point within the car, or for some other reason?

And where would the cable go through?

renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »

You might very well find an existing spot, but i have always kept as a rule to pull a new cable for such accessories because you dont need to tamper with anything in order to do it.

You will find a route by entering the area where the pollen filter is - the Webasto heater in our car have cables on this route. Only thing you need to take off is pollen filter cover and dashboard top cover (maybe even the speaker is enough). Just remeber to put a new fuse right at the battery and seal off any holes where the cable is passing.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:22:16 pm »

Cheers, I might have a poke today. Got a new airfilter and fuel filter that I guess I should fit. Now when the downstairs cloakroom is fitted.  Cool

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:27 am »

Really..?  Huh Is that because there's no suitable point within the car, or for some other reason?

I agree that you should put a new cable in to link it to the battery.  Yes there is a reason.  Modern complex electronics have many computer all with memories, and the drain on the battery can get quite noticeable.  On-board computers these days often monitor electrical outputs and trip out some things after twenty minutes, and if the car is not used for a while (say 72 hours) then they shut down more or go into standby modes.  This is all to save your battery when the car is left for say three weeks whilst on holiday, so it should start when you get back.

So a) I doubt you'd find a suitable place, and b) you would need to make sure it wasn't something that got cut-off after a period of time anyway.

Roy

TheJoker

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:18:43 am »

Thanks for your reply, Roy. And thanks for explaining the why-part too. I'm still using the clips, but will have a look soon.  Cool

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: