| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Murena Ride Height  (Read 28447 times)
Murena IRL

« on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »

Hi All,

My Murena sits lower on drivers side than passenger side.

Is that from the road camber - driving a LHD car on left hand side of road (close to kerb)?

Will new springs correct this? It was the same on my previous Murena also.

Thanks
Derek
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »

First of all You can try adjust the torsion bars - make it higher on drivers side.

Murena IRL

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:52:45 pm »

Here's a picture

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:46:56 pm »

I have had the same problem on mine. Even same side! Wink The problem is not the front, but the rear - springs need replacement.

Simon offers a set on eBay for a very reasonable price. Check your lower spring retainers, mine turned out to look like this:

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »

Measure the ride hight front and rear as described in the workshop manual.
You can adjust the hight of the front by tightening/loosening the the torsion bars.. but if the rear is uneven... yes.. Id say you need new springs...
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:37 pm »

Here's a picture

Hi Derek. Are you sure it is not an optical illusion? When I look at your picture and compare the roof of the car, to the horizontal part of the window frame behind it, then it looks perfectly level.

If you measure the clearance under the side skirts while on level road, is there a difference? If the car really is lower on the drivers side it could be time to go on that diet.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
davidewanprice
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »

I thought that the Murena was like this as standard, i'm pretty sure mine does the same and has done for years?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:41 pm »

I agree with David, I thought this was a 'feature'!

Mine sits like that, same side too.
Murena IRL

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »

Hi Anders - do you have a photo of your Murena sitting on new springs. (and if possible how it sat on old springs)?.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:46 am »

My Murena sits lower on drivers side than passenger side.

Is that from the road camber - driving a LHD car on left hand side of road (close to kerb)?

Will new springs correct this? It was the same on my previous Murena also.

Yes it is partly from driving the car on the left when it was designed to run on the right on French cambered roads.  My Murena was like this from new and the other two I have owned were the same.  The 1983 car seemed to lean slightly less but all the cars pulled or more correctly steered very slightly to the left too, and yet when I checked, all the suspension angles were correct.  However, as soon as I drove the cars in France, on the right hand side of the road, they drove as straight as a die.  I could even take my hands off the wheel at 80 mph and they were perfect.  Try that in the U.K. and it would drive into the kerb!

Obviously as the springs get tired with age they can sag and each one could be different, so you might expect a difference side to side, and since the driver sits more offset from the centre line in these cars, and the car would be driven more with only the driver, it is more likely to drop more on the left.

You can correct this to some extent by adjusting the front torsion bars, which is fairly easy to do.  I did this with my silver car, taking the opportunity to lower the front slightly at the same time.  It now sits almost level even with me in it.  Yes, adjusting the front torsion bars will modify the rear ride heights too.

You should also check the rear spring seats as these are known to corrode, but I doubt it will be these.  If one of these gives way the car would drop noticeably and be noisy if you drove it.

Roy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:12:39 am by roy4matra » Logged

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »

It would be nice if somebody had the dimensions of the rear springs... 
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:51 pm »

That's why we say that in GB you are using a wrong side of the road  Grin  Cheesy Wink

macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »

Don't start...
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:14 pm »

It was a joke, but if You are sensitive for this, than I'm sorry...  Wink

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:14:30 pm »

Well on on the murenas... at least the steering wheel is still in the right place Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: