| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New Bagheera Owner  (Read 24810 times)
andyowl

New exhaust "straight through" - good sound!

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:22 am »

The Bagheera manual certainly shows the recirculation pipework. An 0.7mm orifice for recirculation is also mentioned but I cannot remember if that is in the fuel pump outlet or in the pipework near the tank.

Andy

Back in business for fun!
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »

This fuel pump business confuses me.  I recently bought an AC 416.30 fuel pump.  It was sold as being suitable for a Solara 1600, so I assumed it would fit my Murena 1.6 but when it arrived, it did not have the recirculation outlet.  If it is of any use to anyone, I'll sell it for what I paid for it, otherwise I'll put it on eBay when I find out what the correct application is.
andyowl

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »

Does the Murena 1.6 have fuel tank recirculation?

The Bagheera has two pipes connecting the pump to the tank. One is suction from the tank and the other recirculation back to the tank. From memory the suction connection to the pump is on the bottom of the pump diaphragm and the discharge pipe to the carbs and the recirculation pipe  are both above the diaphragm.

I shall have my head in the Bagheera engine bay tomorrow and can see for myself, so unless anyone else comes up with an answer I'll post here again.

Andy Owler

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 09:57:28 pm »

Does the Murena 1.6 have fuel tank recirculation
  Yes it does, that's why I can't use the pump.  I've got a Talbot Alpine Haynes manual, which only shows the recirculating pump for all engine variants.
andyowl

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 12:17:28 am »

If you put a "Tee" in the pipe to the carb, with the leg of the Tee upwards, to make it easy for the air to get back to the tank, you can create a recirc connection of your own.  Demon Tweeks do several starting around £2.50.

Fit the Tee as near the carb as possible.

Andy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 08:44:36 am »

I'm not totally convinced by that.  I thought that the purpose of the by-pass was to return excess fuel to the tank and maintain a constant pressure at the carb.  Putting a tee piece in will simply relieve most of the pressure to the carb and all the fuel will go back to the tank instead of to the carb because there is a certain amount of resistance in the carb caused by the needle valve and the filter.  Surely some sort of pressure regulator is needed in the by-pass?
LocoRacer

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 09:37:57 am »

So if I can jump in again, fuel pump with re-circulation for a bagheera, is that a yes? lol
andyowl

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:52:41 am »

a) Yes Bagheeras have a fuel recirc system to prevent vapour lock etc.

b) The Tee piece idea still requires a small orifice in the line between the tee and the tank to allow the air/vapour to pass through and cause enough back pressure to force fuel through the float valve into the float chamber(s).

I made a flow restrictor from a piece of copper pipe e.g. brake pipe, squashed in a vice and/or hammered nearly flat and inserted into the fuel pipe after the tee piece.
The official Matra restrictor hole size is 0.7mm diameter but I can't drill a hole that small at home.

Andy

Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:21:25 pm »

Andy,

The restrictor in the mechanical pump is just forced in (Still remember when it came loose on one of my bags)
So, you could use the one of an old damaged pump
(or buy a new socabex for abour 15 euros)

By the way, my (french speaking) manual is still available
LocoRacer

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »

How much is your comprehensive manual? My friend has a classic car business, I did him a little sketch and he reckons he's got summin to use for the spacer from an early pug.
Spyros

I'm a real donkey!

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 05:13:09 pm »

The spacer was indeed in use on some Peiugeot 309 (the ones using the same 1300 cc engine)
The manual is explained in another post
I send it everywhere in Europe for 50 euros
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: