| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: strange noise under heavy acceleration  (Read 4491 times)
colin4255

« on: October 04, 2009, 09:51:28 pm »

Hi guys, hope you can help. I have a 2002 2.2dci Grand Espace diesel. Recently I've noticed an odd noise when accelerating hard. Its rather like the kind of noise you'd maybe hear if the exhaust was touching part of the floorpan. Its not really speed or engine rev related, is intermittent when its happening  and it doesn't happen all the time.  I'm wondering if one of my engine mountings or gearbox mountings is worn?  In the last 6 months, Renault dealer has changed the main top engine mount on LHS of engine as you look at it from the front with bonnet open because it broke!   Are there any more engine mountings or engine stabilisers I should look at and if so where are they located? I have checked carefully around the engine and nothing seems to be touching the body anywhere, nor are there any marks I can see that would indicate the engine is moving enough to touch anything. I can sit on my drive and rev the engine as hard as I like and it makes no strange noises at all, and when driving it normally, you don't hear anything, its only under hard acceleration, or heavy load?

Anyone got any ideas?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:37 am »

Recently I've noticed an odd noise when accelerating hard. Its rather like the kind of noise you'd maybe hear if the exhaust was touching part of the floorpan. Its not really speed or engine rev related, is intermittent when its happening  and it doesn't happen all the time.  I'm wondering if one of my engine mountings or gearbox mountings is worn?  In the last 6 months, Renault dealer has changed the main top engine mount on LHS of engine as you look at it from the front with bonnet open because it broke!   Are there any more engine mountings or engine stabilisers I should look at and if so where are they located? I have checked carefully around the engine and nothing seems to be touching the body anywhere, nor are there any marks I can see that would indicate the engine is moving enough to touch anything. I can sit on my drive and rev the engine as hard as I like and it makes no strange noises at all, and when driving it normally, you don't hear anything, its only under hard acceleration, or heavy load?

Anyone got any ideas?

It might be that new mounting if they didn't get it exactly right.

We had a car which made a similar noise intermittently, particularly when turning right if I remember, and it turned out that the mounting had been pushed in just a tiny bit too far.  This was a pressed fit mounting in a casting.  As it was not central, the bracket attached to it, was not central either and could touch under movement particularly hard acceleration with some lock.  So it might be worth checking the new mounting if the noise has only started since it was fitted.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: