| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Timing Belt well overdue - Info req'd for reasonable garages.  (Read 7523 times)
jag

« on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »

Hi all again,
I need some info about the timing belt replacement on my espace.  I cannot afford the renault dealer rates. I will have my water pump replaced at the same time as I have been told it makes good sense to da that whilst the belt is removed. There must be some localish places that you guys have the belt replaced from. I dont even mind travelling 50-100 miles just to save some money.
Regards Jag

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »

Firts of all wher do you live.
Hans
jag

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:46:10 pm »

Firts of all wher do you live.
Hans

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I live in Birmingham in the town of Quinton, west midlands england

jag

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:31:07 pm »

I have had my timing belt replaced  last week at a cost of £260, this included the 2 tensioners too. I asked the mechanic to see whether the water pump could have done with replacing too at the same time. He said he wouls have a look as it wasn't going to cost ant more labour just the cost of a water pump which he said was about £40-50 on top.
When I went to collect the car he said the pump seemed as if it may have been replaced at 67000 miles on the first belt change which was 9 years ago. My car has now done 137000 miles. So he didnt bother to replace it. But should I have instructed him to replace it anyway? He said it sounded ok and told me not to worry about it.
As I have now been informed by another mechanic that because the belt and tensioners have been replaced they may put strain on the old pump, can anyone tell me that I have nothing to worry about or can I expect this pump to give me problems before the next belt change ?

renaultbiler

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:16 pm »

I would say ALWAYS replace the water pump when driven by timing belt, and imo a mechanic should always recomend this when working with the timing belt - if your pump fails it will in worst case rip the timing belt with everything that comes with it. If you are "lucky" you will notice leaks or sound from it before it collapses the timing. Then you have to act, meaning once more a new timing belt kit as you cannot re-install a dismantled timing belt (well, you can - but shouldn't).

A water pump always "looks ok" or "sounds ok" until it breaks.....

When installing a new timing belt the force on the water pump bearing is likely to change - even a tiny bit, and that might very well be enough for it to break.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
TheJoker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »

I have had my timing belt replaced  last week at a cost of £260, this included the 2 tensioners too.....

Sorry to sound like a real cynic, but do you trust this mechanic and do you know for sure that the belt was really replaced? £260 seems very cheap. I know the kit is about £80 or so..  Huh

What engine do you have? And what Espace?

With regards to the water pump; just keep going and keep an eye on your water temp. Shocked

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: