| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Glassfiber repairs - easy?  (Read 7815 times)
njesper

« on: May 17, 2006, 02:49:47 pm »

Dear folks,

I have now bought a murena 2.2 (81), and I am exstatic about restoring it YESS!!!!!

My father in law, also works on glassfiber cars, but he was a little bit worried about the type of glassfiber used on some of the fiber-parts on the murena body.

He said that he had experienced problems with a renault alpine, where it was impossible to do repairs on some of the glassfiber, because the epoxy ( or something) would not integrate enough with the fiber.

Has anybody improved/repaired glassfiber on their murena, and was there any of the fiber-parts, that were difficult to repair with new glassfiber? Did it fuse together or did it refuse to fuse  Grin?

All experiences are welcome...

Best regards,
Jesper Colding
Will Falconer

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:01:23 pm »

Yes, he is quite right. Matra panels are very thin flexible glass reinforced polyester panels and cannot successfully be repaired  by rigid glass fibre products.  I don't know if there is a kevlar or similar repair system for flexible panels.

But the original or re-manufactured panels are all available new and are not expensive.

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:12:12 pm »

Hi Jesper
I have made one repaid to my Murena’s fibreglass, and there have been no problems with the bonding between the materials so far and the repair must have been done back in 1996.
When I got my Murena it had 20mm spacers at all four wheels. The first time I turned sharp and braked at the same time (at low speed at a parking area) one front wheel touched the front wing and took out a big “bite” approx. 10x5 cm. Do I have to say that all spacers were taken off after that.
For the repair I bought a standard fibreglass repair kit for boats etc from a hardware store (Harald Nyborg) for boats etc.   

regards Hans

PS: We have a active Matra Club in Denmark, and we will like to see your car at one of our club meetings
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: