| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace Milage Correction  (Read 15375 times)
BrianM

« on: November 21, 2009, 09:47:23 pm »

Having swapped out faulty dash clusters on the 2000-2002 models I was wanting to correct the milage. It appears that the higher recorded milage is read & used from the bcu or dash. Now my 70k has become 130k. It is something have been meaning to have done for some time. I would rather pay out for my own clip than pay the £175 I have been quoted to correct it. Also would rather not loose the use of the car for a week having to send the bcu & dash away. The wife would kill me!!! Does the clip have the ability to do this or am I going to have to loose the car for a week. I have a mate who has done pic programming & has said he could do the job if I could find the tools to do it.
Thanks in advance
Brian.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:03 am »

Yes, the computers pick the larger of the two mileages. A nice feature if you replace one with a new one as the mileage will be correct then, but annoying in this case. Well if your wife kills you, she will have no car and nobody to fix it, so... Wink After all, Homer Simpson said "better to ask for forgiveness than for permission" Grin

Your friends' offer is probably not worth considering (despite his good intentions!) as he will need lots of "tools" and just because he's programmed a PIC doesn't mean he can find out how Renault programmed theirs. It's probably not even a PIC processor.

There are several versions of the "clip", and I think only the Renault dealers would have the version being able to do this, so buying your own would probably not help you as I would imagine the "good ones" are hard to find. They could also have a licensing system in them too which needs to be renewed from time to time, though I don't know the details here.

I think I would probably try to live with it. After all it's not something affecting how the car runs.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
renaultbiler

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:30 pm »

No genuine diagnostic tool (CLIP or others) are able to alter the mileage in this or in any other Renault - and that is made this way on purpose to make sure they arent tampered with to gain profit on sale - you simply have to find a cracker that can do it (needs to be done in both BII and instrument panel) or live with it.
And since these cars arent a high volume car i doubt that there is made a tool that can alter this one on the fly. I havent seen any around.
Bumped into a mileage correction web site once that claimed they could do it on the JE, but when reading more they only needed the instrument panel to do this, and that ofcource means it will copy the BII mileage again - so they obviously had no idea on how this system works.... and i dont remember the website.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »

Thanks for your clarification, Tom!

.... and i dont remember the website.

Nothing missed, obviously!

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »

Brian,

Maybe try BBA Reman   http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

They re-manufacture/repair Espace dash panels and the BII units and so may be able to zero the mileage on the replacement dash panel you've fitted and then the true mileage will be picked from your existing and original BII unit upon re-connection of the zero'd dash.

Possibly worth a call or an e-mail to see if they could help.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
renaultbiler

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »

It is required to reset both units if they are able to, whatever unit has the lowest mileage stored will copy the highest mileage when connected to each other.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
BrianM

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:40 pm »

Yes that is correct, the high mileage was copied to the BII from the dash I put in. From what I understand the milage can be corrected by removing a chip from both the BII & the dash & re-writing the information with a programmer. There are similarities to a peagot where if you power up the dash with the BII disconnected it deletes the milage in the dash chip. I will try this to see if it is just the BII that needs to be programmed.
I intend to do soon & I will keep you informed.
jack daniels

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »

in 2005 when my espace had a mere 29,812km on the clock it suddenly jumped up to exactly 110,000km.
the dealer fitted a new "dashboard display" i think it was for the equivalent of about £1100, under garantee.
 I think they said they had 1 attempt to set the milage on the new unit to 29812 but they didn't do it incase the messed up and got it wrong.
so the milage became 0km again
     now it shows 56,000km instead of 86,000km.      From what I have read here it sounds like they have changed out the B-II unit as well.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
fragmaster

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »

Having swapped out faulty dash clusters on the 2000-2002 models I was wanting to correct the milage. It appears that the higher recorded milage is read & used from the bcu or dash. Now my 70k has become 130k. It is something have been meaning to have done for some time. I would rather pay out for my own clip than pay the £175 I have been quoted to correct it. Also would rather not loose the use of the car for a week having to send the bcu & dash away. The wife would kill me!!! Does the clip have the ability to do this or am I going to have to loose the car for a week. I have a mate who has done pic programming & has said he could do the job if I could find the tools to do it.
Thanks in advance
Brian.
  bba remans just fixed my bii board and corrected this issue for me on my milage, it seemed like someone had tried previous bii boardds in this car as a fix and it did not take the higher milage but rather added them on so total milage was 665 650 miles!!! cost from them was £265 vat included but for resale purposes it was a good price for me on this vehicle,all i had to proove was genuine milage , i sent them the previous mot certificate

regards frag
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: