| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Parts Weight list  (Read 101935 times)
njesper

« on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:51 am »

Dear fellow murena dudes, LETS GATHER WEIGHT INFO...  Grin Grin Grin
I will collect all weighings in the top of this topic, as the thread expands.
If interested, please write "name: kg". Any lighter versions can be written afterwards.

Hereby, we can all get an overview of what could be weight reduced, by replacing with/manufacturing lighter parts, if anyone's interested.
(personally, I request the weight of the trunk (bare box), if anybody has had the chance to weigh this.  Shocked)

***PLEASE KEEP THE POSTS SHORT and SERIOUS  - ONLY PARTS AND FIGURES PLEASE Cool***

Parts weight list

• 1.6 (whole car) 951kg - stated by Titus
  • 1.6 (whole car) 1060kg - stated by Oskar
  • Front Liner Tray: 3kg
  • Roof Panel: 5kg
  • Rear Tail Glass: 16kg  (A001)
  • Rear Quarterlight Glass: 1kg  (A002)
  • 2.2 rear trailing arm 10.5kg complete right side
  • 2.2 short axle (drive shaft) 7.0kg
  • 2.2 long axle (drive shaft) 9.7kg
  • Engine cover 5.2kg
  • Wheel bearing 800g
  • Wheel hub 1.7kg
  • 2.2 Rear trailing arm 8kg
  • Rear brake caliper assembly (no pads) 3.5kg  (A003)
  • Fuel tank with sender unit 5.2kg  (A004)
  • Gearstick plastic console 88g  (A005)
  • Heater Matrix and Control Box 3.8kg  (A006)
  • Ventilation Fan 1.9kg  (A007)
  • Under body guard 1150g  (A008)
  • 2.2 Engine (no gearbox, intake, exhaust manifolds). (Politechnic Cam Cover fitted) 151kg
  • 2.2 Murena Gearbox 48kg
  • Metal radiator guard 488g  (A009)
  • Metal radiator guard brackets 83g  (A010)
  • trunk 15.5kg
  • stripped door panel with speaker hole 2kg
  • Xu9J4 (mi16) Engine (dry, with flywheel, alternator & starter) 132.7kg
  • Panel under heater motor 245g  (A011)
  • Original drivers seat 13kg  (A012)

Alternatives list

Suggestions for reducing weight
  • Removing the interior, e.g. door cards and engine bay cover.
  • Devil exhaust 15kg
  • Pull out old seats (3), and replace with 2 lighteight racing seats.
  • Vacume out, and replace it with a simple UP28 Brakepump in the front.
  • Remove headlight system, use modified foglights instead.
  • Standard carpet is heavy replace with lighter synthetic.
  • Lexan windows, except for windscreen. (safety)
  • Get of the airfilter an replace it with a pancake type.
  • Put on 1 light sportmirror on the left and put the shitty Vitaloni's in the bin, or better, sel them on ebay.
  • A Titanium Exhaust would reduce weight on ones car (and wallet) and reduces the Polar Moment of Inertia.
  • Magnesium Alloy wheels would also reduce weight on ones car (and wallet) and reduce the Unsprung Weight.
  • Smaller battery
  • DIY Carbon fabrication link: http://carbonmods.co.uk/
  • Smaller battery

Notes
Weight distribution
focus on the rear of the car to start with (weight distribution 40/60)

Polar Moment of Inertia:
This term refers to how difficult it is to get an object to rotate on an axis. The farther away from the axis of rotation the mass is, the harder it is to make it turn. Conversely, if the mass is concentrated near the centre, it is easier to make it turn. Mid engine cars usually have a low polar moment of inertia which makes it easier to make them rotate, and therefore easier for them to turn. However, mid engine cars will react more quickly to changes in tire angle (they turn faster) but this also means that they are inherently easier to spin as well.

Sprung vs. Unsprung Weight:
Sprung weight is any part of the car that is supported by the suspension, and only moves when the suspension is active. That means that unsprung weight is any part that is directly connected to the road without cushioning from the spring, i.e. wheels, brakes, suspension arms.

Removing unsprung mass is a more effective than reducing sprung mass as it does have handling benefits. The lighter the wheel and other unsprung components, the easier it is for the tire to follow bumps in the road. On a vehicle with extremely high unsprung weight, the inertia of the wheel and associated assembly can't move fast enough to follow the road, resulting in a jarring, crashing ride.

Lowering the unsprung weight and rotating weight yields multiple dividends, with better acceleration, better braking, better ride, better fuel economy, and better handling. Money spent to reduce unsprung weight may be great, but it's a much better payoff than with sprung weight.

Best regards,
NJesper

(updated until Reply #92)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:36:17 am by njesper » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:28:13 pm »

That conrod you're showing in your avatar seems to have been lightened quite well Grin

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Titus

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

As a starting point for a standard 1.6 Murena my car weighs a total of 951kg including the spare steel wheel and with 4 Murena alloys. It has no sun roof, no spoiler, no centre consol and no passenger foot rest. I deducted the weight of the remaining fuel in the tank for this figure.

That is about 50kg lighter than Matra stated the weight when new. As I doubt much has fallen off since 1983 that I wouldn't have missed by now then I guess they were incorrect with the 1000kg brochure listings.

1.6 Murena: 951kg.

1.6 Murena
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

Maybe the steel wheels are heavier Wink  I'm intrigued as to how and why you obtained such a precise weight for your car.
Oskar

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:13 pm »

that sounds tru. mine is stated as 1060kg  fully fueled, a 75kg driver and al fluids in the car.
max load is 200kg with 2 passengers (slim hot womans)  Grin

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:30:34 pm »

Letting the wife out on the curb lightened it by about 65 kg. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

-------
Letting the wife out on the curb lightened it by about 65 kg.
======================================

Good idea, in my case it would be 100 kg.
Next ride she has to take the train Grin

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
njesper

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »

PLEASE RESPECT what I wrote in the beginning.... no jokes, no off topic stuff.... just parts and figures please...   Tongue

Its not meant as a discussion thread, its an info-thread... So until you have weighed anything on a scale relating to this topic, dont post here, its for your own benefit.

thanx, Jesper
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:38:41 pm »

Hi Jesper.

What are you trying to achieve with this list? Are you trying to turn your Murena into a race car?

If you seriously want to lighten the car the best way is to replace all the fiberglass parts with corresponding parts made of carbon fiber. My guess is that it could lighten the car by more than 100 kg. Also consider stripping the paint. It would amount to appx. 4kg top-coat, 5-6 kg paint and 3-4 kg clear coat.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:03:25 pm »

I would think very carefully before you remove the trunk, if that's your plan.  It probably contributes a lot towards the structural rigidity of the car.  Replace all the glass with Perspex.  That would save a lot of weight, though don't go for the Ferrari back.  It weighs more than the glass hatch.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:10:30 pm »

-------
though don't go for the Ferrari back.  It weighs more than the glass hatch.
================================================

Not thrue, it is much lighter.
My hood opens on 1 gasdamper 220  Nm, and I need 2 0f 220 Nm for the glass.
If have the Kiefer Ferrarie hood.
It weight aprox 70% of the glass (roughly)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:24:21 pm by Oetker » Logged

davidewanprice
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:12:59 pm »

There is so much weight to be stripped by just removing the interior, e.g. door cards and engine bay cover. These all weigh a tonne, the problem is that without them everything looks too stripped out, but if that’s your look then great, I’ve got various bits off my car and if you need weights, I could weigh some of them for you..
GP
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »

Front Liner Tray: 3kg

Roof Panel: 5kg

Rear Tail Glass: 16kg

Rear Quarterlight Glass: 1kg

(Plastics4Performance Lexan Polycarbonate Rear Louvered Quarterlight: 0.25kg / See image)

Some other parts available for weighing as requested.

In my experience If weight reduction is required for performance and handling, focus on the rear of the car to start with.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »

@ GP.

That is a nice rear window on the picture.
Is this after market or own produktion?

Titus

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:44:38 pm »

Maybe the steel wheels are heavier Wink  I'm intrigued as to how and why you obtained such a precise weight for your car.

Peter,
I was interested to find out the exact weight distribution of the car so was needing a true weight figure. However, I wasn't able to find anywhere at the time to weigh the car at each corner. I ended up taking the car to a local breakers yard and driving it onto their weighing platform. They gave me a figure of 958kg. I then went and filled up with fuel, deducting the amount from the knowen 52 litre capacity of the tank. This told me I had 8.74 litres in the tank at the time of weighing. Assuming my calculation as to the weight of fuel was correct and the 958kg was also true, I can say that the car weighs 951kg.

Sorry Jesper Smiley

1.6 Murena
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: