| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Parts Weight list  (Read 101492 times)
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 09:59:05 am »

If I have to say something... save 100kg will be a great succes on Murena, but will cost a lot of money, nearly "non-sense" amount. You can replace all body parts by carbon ones, you can cut off the metal sheets in the boot, you can replace all glass by a plexi ones, demount inner door panels, all upholstery, make a carbon dashboard... That could realy save a lot of kg, but costs thousands... Sorry, making holes in brake pedal, cutting fuel tank or buying expensive plexi rear triangels only for save in total 5kg  Roll Eyes it's better have no food and no drink before driving  Cheesy

And second very important thing is that first you have to be sure that your car is in fabric condition, I mean that some older engines looses their power and better than tuning is to renovate them to have really 92, 118 or 144 PS and not for example 80, 103 and 130. My Tagora 2,2 had only 101PS except of 115 when it had cca 250t km and my SX had only 150 PS except 165 PS only because of bad exhaust! There is a video of beautifull yellow Bagheera I on Youtube, but lot of smoke goes from its exhaust  Sad and also there is a Murena 1,6 on Midland circuit where you can see smoke from exhaust - valve o-rings or wearn cylinders?

Also very important are driver skills - just all of you can try how fast you can reach 100 km/h, are you able to make it in same time which is written in Murenas documents?  Wink

Oskar

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »

I find the rear caliper very light compared to many other cars that also has the inbuild handbrake.
perhaps is the citroen bx and xantia) caliper wich is in solid aluminium maybe lighter.

that brake convert looked nice. very nice  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 04:15:40 pm »

And if your MoT tester used the brake rollers and asked the weight and used that for his calculations then he did the test incorrectly
Yes, I realise that, but it's a local independent garage I've known for a great many years and I've no wish to upset him by telling him how to do his job.  Besides, the roller test is a better test.  When I got my car, it had an MoT yet the handbrake had been bodged to only work on one wheel.  That had probably been done the "correct" way with a 'G' meter, the Murena brakes are probably good enough to scrape through the test in this condition.
GP
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »

I find the rear caliper very light compared to many other cars that also has the inbuild handbrake.
perhaps is the citroen bx and xantia) caliper wich is in solid aluminium maybe lighter.

that brake convert looked nice. very nice  Smiley

Hi Oskar,

Yes I do agree the rear caliper is a very light unit compared to other cars. The heaviest part of it being the mounting bracket.

A suggested alternative for the Topic though is the Willwood Powerlite / Handbrake Caliper Part. No. 120-9463HB Weight 2kg

See image.

I'm very pleased you liked and appreciated my front brake conversion. I enjoy the challenge of the study, design and implementation of these sort of projects.  Also gettting to spend some time with my 76 year old father in his machine workshop, keeping him active and alert for many years to come hopefully (Just like my 2.2 Murena - click on PDF File below).  Smiley

Happy New Year,

Graham
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:22:40 pm by GP » Logged
darrenheli

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »

lost a little bit of weight!!
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:15 am »

Ohh, that looks like carbon fiber. Sweet. Cheesy
And you haven't even cut the holes in it yet. That should loose another 8,2 g or so. Grin

I saw on hte 5th Gear show that the new BMW M3 has a carbon fiber roof instead of fiber glass. Tha supposedly took off kg's and lowered the center of gravity. That could be done on the Murena too. Smiley

Matranaut par excellence Cool
GP
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »

Heater Matrix and Control Box 3.8kg
Suggested Alternative: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/43kw-car-heater-heat2-4489-p.asp

Ventilation Fan 1.9kg
Suggested Alternative: http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/axial-fan--axfan-1095-p.asp
GP
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 01:38:04 pm »

Ohh, that looks like carbon fiber. Sweet. Cheesy
And you haven't even cut the holes in it yet. That should loose another 8,2 g or so. Grin

I saw on hte 5th Gear show that the new BMW M3 has a carbon fiber roof instead of fiber glass. Tha supposedly took off kg's and lowered the center of gravity. That could be done on the Murena too. Smiley

Very nice craftsmanship Darren and entering into the spirit of the topic very nicely. I feel ashamed of my pathetic polycarbonate louvered quarterlights now!  Grin

Let us know when you decide to go large and make a roof panel. I'll have one.

Happy New Year,

Graham
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:20 pm »

I(myself) lost 25 lbs since this summer..... can I keep my heater then?..... please?... Wink
GP
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »

I(myself) lost 25 lbs since this summer..... can I keep my heater then?..... please?... Wink

Well done Krede, I only lost 20lb. myself.
As you live in Denmark of course you can keep your heater, but only if you have not put on any weight over the festive season though?  Smiley

Godt nytår

Graham
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »

Thanks Graham, and the same to you! Smiley
My plan is to loose a further 25 lbs or so.. that should bring me to my "ideal weight"... and account for the Turbo I plan on putting on my car at some point Wink
darrenheli

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 11:35:25 pm »

Just made a carbon under body guard orignal 1150gms new one 652gms could have made it lighter but the new one is stiffer than the orignal and much stronger
GP
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 01:18:00 am »

Just made a carbon under body guard orignal 1150gms new one 652gms could have made it lighter but the new one is stiffer than the orignal and much stronger

Hi Darren,

That looks nice. I would be very interested to know more about the subject and theory of carbon fibre fabrication. Would you consider starting a topic on this subject and compile a list with photos of all the components you have manufactured so far for the Murena?

Don't forget to add me to the list for a roof panel!  Wink

Cheers,

Graham

P.S. njesper. I was enjoying this thread you started. Please don't give up!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:37:24 am by GP » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:30 pm »

Hi Darren,

That looks nice. I would be very interested to know more about the subject and theory of carbon fibre fabrication. Would you consider starting a topic on this subject and compile a list with photos of all the components you have manufactured so far for the Murena?

Don't forget to add me to the list for a roof panel!  Wink

Cheers,

Graham

P.S. njesper. I was enjoying this thread you started. Please don't give up!

Anyone interested in lightening the car by making Carbonfiber parts should look at this site:

http://carbonmods.co.uk/

They sell parts to a lot of cars, but of course you will have to make your own for a Murena. Wink

They sell do-it-yourself kits for varying purposes, and they have online instruction videos, so no excuses guys, Cheesy

I plan to make new housings for the side mirrors and Jan, Jesper and I are talking about replacing the rusty plates in front of the heater fan and windshield wiper compartments with carbon fiber. A new set of inner fenders and the shell under the battery/spare wheel could be next. Grin

I also like Darrens under-the-engine plate, but mine never had one (only the German Murenas had them, as far as I know), so I lack a mold and possibly the mounting points. Huh
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:23:17 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Matranaut par excellence Cool
GP
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

2.2 Engine assembly with no gearbox, intake or exhaust manifolds. (Politechnic Cam Cover fitted) = 151kg
Suggested lightweight and powerful engine alternatives anyone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: