| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Changing Rear Drums to discs  (Read 4923 times)
westbay

« on: December 06, 2009, 01:24:22 pm »

Hi,

Anybody know if it's possible to change the rear drum brakes on my '97 2.2dt Espace to disc s please.
Just completed a long trip to Southern Spain and back but felt the brakes were a little lacking, they are in good overall condition otherwise.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »

Interesting question... In principle it ought to be possible. Rear hubs need to be changed.  The ABS system (block and computer) would probably also need replacing. You should also check whether the brake master cylinder needs to be moved over.

However, experimenting with this is probably not such a good idea. You risk getting something wrong and spending a lot of time (and money) on something that will not be fundamentally better. Discs are better, sure, but has higher service costs. And drums on the rear should be plenty good enough for your car, I'd say. How long ago is it since you replaced the brake fluid? Also, the brake hoses tend to swell up inside over time and exposure to the brake fluid, so if they are more than say 5 years old, you should replace them.

I used to have a 97 2.0 Espace, which we took a few times to Provence (from Denmark, 2000 km either way). I never found brakes lacking, not even through the motorway hills south of Kassel.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
westbay

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:04:33 am »

Hi Anders,

...as always sound advice !   The front disc's look perfect facing outwards ....but...there's always a 'but'......
the inside face is quite worn and uneven, so I'll replace the disc, pads and fluid, will also strip the drums etc first.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: