| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can't select gears 2.2 dt, 96 but 97 shape  (Read 5578 times)
choowonit

« on: March 07, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »

Hi everyone again, i always feel bad for only coming on here when i have problems and you guys alays manage to deliver

Anyways this is a problem that has slowly been getting worse but is now impossible

The clutch is dragging and will not fully disengage to allow me to select any gears easy, you can force it but the car creeps with the clutch fully depressed (bit like me)

A mechanic friend suggested it needs a new clutch, but I'm dubious as it isn't slipping any views would be appreciated before i either buy a clutch r scrap it

cheers
Choo
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »

I have had one like this. The release bearing may have gone & overheated thus melting the plastic part of the release bearing carrier. The one I did had completly gone leaving the fork pressing on the cover.
Have a look through the boot of the clutch fork arm to see if it is this. Otherwise it could be the dreaded hydraulics or of course just the end of the clutch itself.
colin4255

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:29:16 pm »

The usual way to check if the clutch is shot, is to put the hand brake on, then let out the clutch. If the car stalls, the clutch itself is usually OK.

I recently had an issue with clucth faliure due to hydraulic slave cyliner breaking (the pipe came out the back - fluid everywhere).  Unlike other cars, the master cycl, piping and salve cyl are one pre-made piece on the espace. You cannot top them up or bleed them or change seals. They are a throwaway part.  If any of this is worn badly, or leaking, clutch will not work properly and you'll be in for a £400 or thereabouts bill. The clutch hydraulic bits are about £230 plus VAT for the whole set (in the UK) and as a dealer needs to remove a large section of the main dashboard to fit the master cyliner, about 3.5 hours labour at dealer prices. UNLESS you knlow a garage who has actually done this DO  NOT trust this job to an amateur or non Renault trained mechanic or its likely they will fail to be able to repair it and may mess up no end of electrics trying to 'get at' the master cyliner. Renault at least guarantee their repaires for 12 months irrespective of the age of the car.

Other postres have mentioned the only other major thikng that tends to fail.  Has the pedal been getting nearer the floor? Have you noticed a degradation in pedal pressure?  If not its likely the release bearing. If you have noticed padal degradation, it could be the hydraulic system - easy to check if its been leaking. Just need to take a close look.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:44 am »

I think Colin is right - check the hydraulic system first. But it could also be the clutch itself that has failed. Release bearing, or just wear. That it isn't slipping just tells you that the friction plate is still not down to the metal. Is the clutch pedal "heavy"?

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
choowonit

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:03:22 pm »

clutch isn't slipping at all, stalls he car

i have suspected the infamous hydraulic unit, the ability to disengage has been getting worse and worse gradually

the clutch pedal doesn't feel particularly heavy, i better book it in at Renault
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: