| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to remove the front/rear discs?  (Read 9552 times)
davidewanprice
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »

I'm guessing that I need a special tool to hold the disc still while you undo the central nut? If so is it an easy tool to get and/or can you do a DIY fix to get round it?
lewisman

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

I use the "other half" (not that she would thank me for calling her a special tool Wink) to stand on the brake pedal!

Unfortunately you will need to split the bearings to remove the discs.  I seem to remember that you can use the wheel bolts instead of a puller but it is a long time (20 years +) since I last changed a Matra brake disc...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:17:08 am by lewisman » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:28:05 am »

I'm guessing that I need a special tool to hold the disc still while you undo the central nut? If so is it an easy tool to get and/or can you do a DIY fix to get round it?
Hi David.

If your hand brake is properly adjusted, then Pulling it hard should provide adequate friction to hold the disk still.

You should first make yourself a punch to knock out the dent in the wheel nut. On an bench grinder, or with a file, shape the punch so it has a width that fits in the grove on the axle. In the other dimention make it wedge shaped, so it will push out the dent when you pound it into the grove. Once the dent is out the bolt can be removed fairly easy.

It is, however, not easy to get the dent straightened out. I chose to buy new nuts from Simons and use an angle grinder to CAREFULLY remove the part of the nut with the dent. If you at least grind it down, without reaching the threads on the axle, then using the punch becomes much easier. I would not try to re-use the old nuts.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:10:06 am »

I re used the old nuts, and switched left nut right and right nut left.
Then you have fresh material to to lock it.
Next time new nut.
I also used the wheel bolts to press the thing out.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:37:50 am »

Special technique  Wink take 2 wheel screews and put them into their holes beside each other, than put the long lever between them and turn the wheel till it is possible. Than You can jump on it  Grin

JL

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:57:09 am »

David
Safest way is with a tool to hold the disc stationary while you turn the main nut, I have sent you a pm.
Regards
John
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:13 am »

One important thing.
Use the original springsteel rings behind the bolts that the disks are mounted with, and use locktite on that bolts.
If you don't do that, disks can become loose.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
davidewanprice
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »

Thanks for the advise, it's going to be a case of plan B as calipers are already off.
Oskar

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 02:04:56 pm »

I took this http://www.napoli.se/72027.jpg and fastened it on the disks. no problem to remove the nut  Smiley

peugeot 205 gti
murena 1.6
hoffmann

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:13:32 am »

Tool
hoffmann

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:30 am »

Tool large
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 11:46:09 pm »

Easiest way and you don't need any helper or the brakes, is to have one steel wheel with a hole in the centre!  I obtained some Lancia steel wheels some years ago from a scrap car and mounted some worn out tyres on them.  These are my 'special tool number one!'  Simply put one of these on the hub and lower to the ground after knocking out the nut lock.  Chock the wheels and undo the hub nut with a socket through the hole in the wheel.

As per the magazine, I or Greig have new rear hub nuts if required.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: