| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone got spare parts for the 2.2 Solex carburator?  (Read 5620 times)
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« on: May 27, 2010, 09:11:10 am »

I am missing the idle mixture screw in my Solex carburator.

I actually discovered a while back that I could not adjust it, but could not check the problem and forgot about it. The engine runs OK, but runs rich, as evidenced by the black exhaust pipe.

This weekend I used my Rigid snake-cam to inspect the carburator and discovered that the idle screw simply is missing.

Is there any of you, who has such a screw laying about, that you would be willing to part with?  Smiley

If not, can you tell me where to get one?

Matranaut par excellence Cool
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:57:40 am »

I am missing the idle mixture screw in my Solex carburator.

I assume you are talking about the down-draught 34 CICF carburettor Jon?

I actually discovered a while back that I could not adjust it, but could not check the problem and forgot about it. The engine runs OK, but runs rich, as evidenced by the black exhaust pipe.

No, a black exhaust is not evidence of a rich setting any longer.  That used to be the case when we used leaded fuel.  With leaded fuel if the engine was running nicely, the exhaust had a nice light grey colour.  This was the lead coating in the exhaust.

With low-leaded fuel (commonly but incorrectly called 'unleaded') since the lead amount is now so small, the exhaust will always be black even when the mixture setting is correct.

This weekend I used my Rigid snake-cam to inspect the carburator and discovered that the idle screw simply is missing.

The idle mixture screw is fitted horizontally recessed inside the base flange.  I find it hard to believe it is missing, as the engine would not run in that case.  Without it, the fuel would leak out of the flange and the engine would not get the idle mixture it requires.  They are also so tight that they would never unscrew all the way out and drop out on their own.

Is there any of you, who has such a screw laying about, that you would be willing to part with?  Smiley

I might have one if it really has been removed.

Roy

michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:52:30 am »

No, a black exhaust is not evidence of a rich setting any longer.  That used to be the case when we used leaded fuel.  With leaded fuel if the engine was running nicely, the exhaust had a nice light grey colour.  This was the lead coating in the exhaust.

With low-leaded fuel (commonly but incorrectly called 'unleaded') since the lead amount is now so small, the exhaust will always be black even when the mixture setting is correct.

Hmmm, that's very interesting Shocked thank You for this advice. So I will have another question about this, but I will open a new topic.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:16:58 am »

I assume you are talking about the down-draught 34 CICF carburettor Jon?
--

--

The idle mixture screw is fitted horizontally recessed inside the base flange.  I find it hard to believe it is missing, as the engine would not run in that case.  Without it, the fuel would leak out of the flange and the engine would not get the idle mixture it requires.  They are also so tight that they would never unscrew all the way out and drop out on their own.

I might have one if it really has been removed.

Roy

Hi Roy.

Yes, it is the standard Solex 34 CICF.

From what you say will happen if the screw is not installed, I am wondering if it is just broken off. There is defenitely no slot to fit a screwdriver visible when I look into the hole in the flange, where the screw should be.

If it is broken I may have to take the carburator off to get the piece removed. But I definitely think I will need a replacement. Sad

Besides the black exhaust I assume it is running rich because of a smell of gasoline from the exhaust, when idling with engine at operating temperature and choke off.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:37 am »

Hi Roy.

Yes, it is the standard Solex 34 CICF.

From what you say will happen if the screw is not installed, I am wondering if it is just broken off. There is defenitely no slot to fit a screwdriver visible when I look into the hole in the flange, where the screw should be.

This may be because the seal plug is still in there.

Since the original emission requirements were for carburettors to be sealed to stop 'tampering', mixture screws were sealed with a plug.  That it is why it is recessed where in the old days they were mounted 'outside' and easily accessible.

If it is broken I may have to take the carburator off to get the piece removed. But I definitely think I will need a replacement. Sad

Maybe not, if it simply still sealed in!

Besides the black exhaust I assume it is running rich because of a smell of gasoline from the exhaust, when idling with engine at operating temperature and choke off.

That may well be due to some other factor like float level too high or an internal leak as a seal is not sealing.  If you had an engine idling and you screwed that mixture screw right out the engine would not even continue idling.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: