| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Towbar Electrics 2000 2.2dt  (Read 17433 times)
chewbacca

« on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:40 pm »

Hi

I wonder if any one can inform me if I  require a relay for the wiring on a my 2000 2.2dt towbar,from what I've gleaned so far it appears I may be able to just connect to the appropriate stop/driving/indicator light without the need for a relay.I'm only towing a small box trailer so the fog lamps aren't an issue.

Many Thanks
Sommerby

Spaceship Pilot

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »

Hi

I wonder if any one can inform me if I  require a relay for the wiring on a my 2000 2.2dt towbar,from what I've gleaned so far it appears I may be able to just connect to the appropriate stop/driving/indicator light without the need for a relay.I'm only towing a small box trailer so the fog lamps aren't an issue.

Many Thanks

If your car has a canbus system, you will need a relay. Nothing is working without the relay.
The towbar I mounted, had plugs to connect onto the backlights. I just had to unplug the original plugs, insert the towbar plugs and to connect the original plugs onto the towbar plugs. 
I believed that this was all I needed to do, but nothing was working on the car untill I installed the relay :-)

Best Regards
Bo
colin4255

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »

Hi, I put a post on here some time ago about tow-bar electrics and got some useful tips. But I also got a lot of conflicting information from my renault mechanic colleague and from tow-bar fitters. I am still no closer to being able to do this myself.

My 2002 espace has BIII electrics and CANBUS and I am told you need either a renault wiring loom kit for a tow-bar (about £150) or you need to get a professional tow-bar fitting company to properly sort out the electrics - if you are not 100% sure you know what to do don't risk it, you can do untold damage to the electrics if you are not careful
chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »

Hi There

I purchased the towbar from a large towbar supplier here in the uk.But before I bought it I asked if it was a case of wiring to the rear of the clusters,like I did on my last espace(a 17 year old mk2).I was told that this was indeed the case ,no bypass relay required,but Iwould have to extend the cables for the foglamps.I see that a dedicated wiring loom can be had to wire in a towbar but theyre only available for cars from 10/2002 which makes me think I'll be ok,I think if earlier models required one they would probably have been available.I read your post and decided to phone to make sure ,and it was confirmed no bypass was required on cars upto 2002.It may be the case that because youre car is a 2002 model you require a relay.I'll probably get round to wiring it up next week so i'll post and let you know the result.
renaultbiler

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:37 am »

All JE from 07/98 up have BII and require relay

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
chewbacca

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35:17 am »

Hi There

Would that be for the fog lights only?
chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:04 am »

Here's a link to one that states no relay is required?

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=50357
renaultbiler

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »

The relay is for the side indikators as that is fed from BII, never explored it other than replaced the fuse mounted on it but assume its a dual coil relay.

2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
BrianM

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »

Hi

Many Thanks

If you have a bcu fitted in the floor fusebox { big black box in the middle & RF type fob } then you need the relay for sure, as you need to protect the electronics in the box. Early cars {if you have an infered remote & jaeger dash} may not need it, I am sure I did'nt use one when I fitted this type vehicle last year.
In the UK if it is a small trailer & it does not obscure the lights on the car then you don't need lights anyway just the reflective triangles (unless the law has changed in recent years.) I was told this by a police officer.
chewbacca

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:13 pm »

Hi Bian

I do have the ECU in the passenger footwell,not sure which one, and it's not Jaegar dash.Believe it or not I have phoned the supplier Four times they assure me it requires no relay,only if it has lamp failure detection do you require a relay, which mine dosen't.They have a website with the electrical drawings for my espace,it uses no relay.There's no sign of any can bus at the clusters,it's all normal lighting cables,and each indicator circuit has it's own fuse,I'm pretty sure it's okay to wire from the clusters,but then others say it requires a relay which makes me nervous about spiking the ECU  for the sake of a £25 relay.
Cheers
renaultbiler

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 07:06:55 pm »

Make sure they will pay for a new BII unit including installing and configuration at Renault before you install their kit without relay! Its for a reason this relay exist in all espace's with tow bar and BII unit.

1982 R20TX 2.2
chewbacca

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:32:41 pm »

Well Ive decided to use a7way bypass relay whether I need it or not .The relay is available for about £20 and Im going to put everything through it, although it may only be the indicators that are questionable,might as well isolate the trailer lighting completely.Still seems strange that the advice being handed out is that no relay is required,and this appears to be fairly widespread,if there is the remotest possibilityof damage occuring,especially when as you say a readymade solution is widely avalable.
Many Thanks
colin4255

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:48:18 pm »

I would definitely use the relay. My Espace is an october 2002 JE (JEOK).  I have had some people saying no relay is needed and some saying I do need one. Renault are adamant that I need to protect the indicator electrics at the very least, but their solution is very costly. My conclusion is that most of these aftermarket tow-bar fitters or sellers have no real clue what they are doing. I asked one if he would pay for any replacement parts if not using a relay failed. He then said I should fit one!! If they are only between £20 and £30 seems stupid not to really.
chewbacca

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:38:21 pm »

Hi Colin

I've purchased the 7way bypass relay,TEB7AS,includes buzzer, £16.The lack of any definate answer,conflicting advice ,and the knowledge of people on this forum,persuaded me to fit one.I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks and I'll fit it on return.I'll take some photos and post them on here once I'm finished.To be honest the relay should probably be part of the standard fitting kit.

Many Thanks
Trolkar

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:05:53 pm »

Hi Colin

I've purchased the 7way bypass relay,TEB7AS,includes buzzer, £16.The lack of any definate answer,conflicting advice ,and the knowledge of people on this forum,persuaded me to fit one.I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks and I'll fit it on return.I'll take some photos and post them on here once I'm finished.To be honest the relay should probably be part of the standard fitting kit.

Many Thanks

I'm looking forward to the guide, and information on how to buy the relay. - I'm having serius problems with my blinkers, even after the wires have been solded.
There are now relay on my towbar.... - And the problems came around 3 weeks after towing a trailer...

'99 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 V6-24v
'97 Mitsubishi Galant Wagon 2.5 V6-24v
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: