| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: mk3 espace steering column uj  (Read 20419 times)
chewbacca

« on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »

Hi Lads

Can anyone tell me if there is a company who overhauls the uj on the steering column,apparently there is but who?.Seems ridiculous the whole shaft has to be replaced for the sake of a UJ,and not cheap by all accounts. Is the airbag in the steering wheel  disabled by disconnecting the battery ?

Kind Regards

Jim
dragonzuiko

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »

Never heard of one myself, i think they are a renault only part. i have started to give my uj a dose of wd40 because my steering gets stiff. its ok then until the wd drys up, next time i will get some spray grease.

Have yours seized up then ? 

Hi Lads

Can anyone tell me if there is a company who overhauls the uj on the steering column,apparently there is but who?.Seems ridiculous the whole shaft has to be replaced for the sake of a UJ,and not cheap by all accounts. Is the airbag in the steering wheel  disabled by disconnecting the battery ?

Kind Regards

Jim
chewbacca

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:32 am »

Hi There

No it's the exact opposite.The previous owner told me he had problems with stiff steering up to the point they replaced the box,turned out it was the uj.They slackened it off ,unsure of the method,but it seems it's worn now anyway.Bit of play on the steering wheel and I presumed it was a case of replacing the uj ,but it appears it's the column ,and uj combined,just interested if anyone has had it overhauled.

jim
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:48:15 am »

I don't know about the UJ, but about airbag: Yes, it's disabled by disconnecting the battery. Good luck Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
chewbacca

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:43:09 am »

Thanks Anders

Jim
e.space.3

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

Hello
Sorry to bother you, but what is UJ?
I could guess that "J" is from joint    Huh  Huh Huh Huh

Thank you

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »

Hi There

Yes ,Universal joint known as other things too,universal coupling etc, amongst others.

Jim
dragonzuiko

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »

Hi There

No it's the exact opposite.The previous owner told me he had problems with stiff steering up to the point they replaced the box,turned out it was the uj.They slackened it off ,unsure of the method,but it seems it's worn now anyway.Bit of play on the steering wheel and I presumed it was a case of replacing the uj ,but it appears it's the column ,and uj combined,just interested if anyone has had it overhauled.

jim

Never knew you could slacken them off. when i worked in the motor trade, i could get steering racks and drave shafts reconed. i will try to find out about the UJ .

cHEERS pETER
chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »

Hi Peter

You are right you can't slacken them off.Theyre sealed for life but wear and tear and moisture, heat, prevails in the end. In my case I think the joint had probably been partially seized, in itself causes wear, and been freed off with lubricant  and greased,once "freed" this shows up the wear in the joint,the previous owner actually told me about it when i purchased the car. Priced the  column today £366 +vat for the column +integral uj, scandalous really for a part that probably costs about £20.

Regards Jim
ross

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:21 pm »

hi Peter,
I have had to replace the UJ at the bottom of the steering column on my Espace, and was told much the same story as you. I couldn't afford the Renault price so I sourced a complete column from a breakers, about £60 as I remember. When I had dismantled half the insides of the car, including the steering wheel airbag, I realised that the UJ is attached to the steering column by a spline, and if you prise off the spring clip at the top of the slined section of the UJ it can be removed from the remainder of the steering column. This is assuming that the pinch bolt that clamps the UJ to the steering rack has been released, and the bottom end of the UJ knocked clear of the steering rack drive stub. I have a donor Espace that I am using as spares, so if you need a photo of the rack-UJ assembly showing the way it comes apart, just let me know.
I have sent some photos to Anders in the past but I have never been able to find where he stores them. if you want to let me have your email address I will send them directly to you.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
dragonzuiko

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:53 pm »

Hi Jim,
          I have put wd40 on mine a couple of times now,i will use spray grease next time. i just asked my mate who still works in the motor trade, he said the place he use to work for sometimes did uj's but they have to look at them before they could tell you if it could be done. yes i know they are expensive, that is daylight robbery.
                        Cheers Peter

Hi Peter

You are right you can't slacken them off.Theyre sealed for life but wear and tear and moisture, heat, prevails in the end. In my case I think the joint had probably been partially seized, in itself causes wear, and been freed off with lubricant  and greased,once "freed" this shows up the wear in the joint,the previous owner actually told me about it when i purchased the car. Priced the  column today £366 +vat for the column +integral uj, scandalous really for a part that probably costs about £20.

Regards Jim
dragonzuiko

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »

Hi Ross,
             Thanks for the info i will keep that in mind.we have got espace down are scapper but its on the floor with no wheels, which is a shame.
                               Cheers Peter

hi Peter,
I have had to replace the UJ at the bottom of the steering column on my Espace, and was told much the same story as you. I couldn't afford the Renault price so I sourced a complete column from a breakers, about £60 as I remember. When I had dismantled half the insides of the car, including the steering wheel airbag, I realised that the UJ is attached to the steering column by a spline, and if you prise off the spring clip at the top of the slined section of the UJ it can be removed from the remainder of the steering column. This is assuming that the pinch bolt that clamps the UJ to the steering rack has been released, and the bottom end of the UJ knocked clear of the steering rack drive stub. I have a donor Espace that I am using as spares, so if you need a photo of the rack-UJ assembly showing the way it comes apart, just let me know.
I have sent some photos to Anders in the past but I have never been able to find where he stores them. if you want to let me have your email address I will send them directly to you.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Ross
chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:29:02 pm »

Hi Ross
That's interesting that the uj is actually splined to the shaft which makes you wonder why there isn't a separate replacement.Mine is actually slightly worn and to be honest would probably replace it had it been a replacement part.I'll probably go down the route you've gone down and try and source a replacement if it comes to that.It seems ridiculous that someone putting their car in for something as straight forward as a worn uj could end up with a bill for something like £800,no wonder on my visits to the scrappy I keep saying to the wife that half the cars in there are better than mine,it really is a shame.
Regards jim
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »

Try Car Builder Solutions

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/steering_uj.htm

for steering column UJ parts.

They offer various options including splined UJ's, weld-in UJ's and even cut-to-length splined shafts

Martin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:40:53 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
chewbacca

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:53:13 pm »

Perfect Martin ,looks the job.

Regards Jim