| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: More questions on trailer light wiring?  (Read 8013 times)
colin4255

« on: November 14, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »

I read Chewbacca's post back in July and have only just got round to buying a bypass relay and all the bits needed to wire up my tow bar electrics.  It all makes sense except how do I get  two-core wire through the bulkhead and into the engine compartment. Mine is a UK model RHD, so I wanted to run the cable to power and earth the relay from the battery, through the bulkhead on the nearside (LHS) of the vehicle, but for the life of me I can't see anywhere obvious to put the cable through?

Everything seems completely buried or hidden and I don't want to do any damage.  The care is a 2002 2.2DCI.  If anyone can help with this before I start pulling things to pieces, I would appreciate it a lot

If anyone has successfully done something similar, please let me know how?

Thanks
jack daniels

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

I'll be lifting up my car on tuesday, so I'll have a look where the factory fitted trailer electrical cable is fitted.
I'll try and remember to take some photos.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
colin4255

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

Thanks for that. I have been looking again today. No way can I see how to feed a wire thru the bulkhead easily.  Is there a continuous power supply wire anywhere in the loom on the rhs rear of the car that I could tap into?  I have wired into all the individual lights and signals now, but I am still in need of a 12v power feed. It only needs to be one that is on all the time the ignition is on. I can't see any spare sections on the fuse box, or how  could connect to them?

Thanks
chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:35:43 am »

Hi Colin

I visited the local scrapyard and removed some flexible plastic conduit from underneath one of the cars,attatched it to the underside of my car with cable ties,if I remember correctly I attatched it to the side of the box section for the front half ,routed it between  the bulkhead at the front and the bypass fitted in the rear,then passed the cable through.

Kind Regards
colin4255

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:44:29 pm »

Thanks for this. I didn't like the idea of running a power cable underneath the vehicle so I persevered and found a way to get thru bulkhead. On LHS (the rhs of the engine bay as you stand in front of it) at the back on the top rhs, the water pipes to the heater go thru. Just to the left of them is a small space and on the other side (inside) there is not  much in the way and you can see it just up above the left side of the glove box. I put some wood there for the drill bit to hit as it came through, and moved some wires a little, then from the engine bay side, using one of those bendy drill attachments, was able to drill a 6 mm hole and get the power and earth cable through. Then I ran it across to the right side of the car, lifted up the door trim kick plates and followed the exisiing loom into the boot on the right hand side.

Not at all easy, but quicker than running cable under the car. I have taken some pics and will post them here when I'm done wiring.

Once again guys many thanks for the help
jack daniels

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

I took some photos with my phone today. the black coloured flexible conduit goes from the back of the car, beside the spare tyre, it's cliped on the body beside other conduits, over the front subframe, up in front of the brake vacuum chamber, behind the battery into the fuse box. 
the cable going into the fuse box is the bundle with 2 reds, and what looks like a blue and a yellow.

There must be many power cables running under the vehicle. were you concerned about water ingress?
 I've never used mine as the towbar is only used  for the bicycle rack, but the contact worked fine when I tested it last and sprayed it with preservation spray. I keep the contact in a vynil bag out of site behind the rear bumper
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:08:37 pm by jack daniels » Logged

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
colin4255

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:35:56 am »

Thanks for this JD. much appreciated and all the pics - I really appreciate the time you took doing that.  Its amazing, a colleague of mine who works for Witter Towbars in the UK said they also run the power cables  under the vehicle. Easy I suppose if you have a hydraulic set of ramps, not so easy in my case. I have one jack and no ramps or anything to lift the car.   I now have the relay fully wired and working and will post photos shortly. Chewbaccas images of how to wire them up are what I followed, it was mainly routing the power cable I had issues with, but its all been done inside the vehicle  once I found a way. Relay cost me £15 and wire and clips about £30 to do the whole job. Bit of patience needed but otherwise not too hard to do. I have to say, relay manufacturers instructions we complete crap, but the guy | bought the stuff from was very, very helpful. I will pst details of how you contact him shortly.

Many thanks guys for all your help with this. |t really spurred me on to find a way to sort this issue out.
jack daniels

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »

I want to run a 240v power cable into the car for a coupe heater. Do you know where there is a suitable entry point?
where does your cable enter the inside of the car at the front and back?

I noticed a cable that looked to be going inside near the handbrake. That would be a perfect entry point since the power plug can be fitted there on the inside.  Im not sure what it was, perhaps a supply to the cigarette lighters. I need to look closer at that next time Im under the car. I guess that's a job that'll have to wait until summer.

colin4255

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:56:22 am »

sorry for delay in replying. Soon as I can willpost a pic of where I put wiring thru. Images I took were no good. Will try again
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: