| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena interior  (Read 16817 times)
RazorbackNOR

« on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:14 am »

I might be juming into a controversy with both feets here now with all you Matra enthusiasts here....

But, the late 70s brown interior don't sit to well with me.... have been thinking of putting in leather seats, but got to thinking: What could be done to bring the interior more "up-to-date"

Have been in contact with a norwegian(since I am norwegian myself) who has a company in Lithuania restoring old cars, especially  interior.

Have been quoted approx 760euro for all the seats in leather, which I don't think is that bad, when I see that Simon want's 1700Euros for the same job. From what I have seen, the craftmanship looks excellent to. That price included use of own design, contrast seems etc. No problem including Alcantara or other materials as an element in the design either.

Full re-upholstering of the interior is a bit harder to quote, but he guesstimated a price approx 2350Euros for new carpet, door/roof lining, covering the whole dash in fabric or what ever one chooses. Or was that including the seats aswell?

Any way, the prices looks good, the workmanship looks good, But what chould one do...? yes, I know that one should keep it orginal, but What could/can be done to update the interior....? suggestions everyone!

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:40:08 am »

I agree with you: The brown Murena interiour is not my tast either!
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:00:29 am »

As the owner of a Green Murena with brown interior, I must beg to differ. It really depends of the color of your paint job, what colour interior looks best. On a Hudson Green Murena a black interior would not look good, in my oppinion. Wink

That said, if any of you are getting rid of brown interior parts, I would love to have them. Grin
I would particularly like to get the gold velour upholstry, especially from the drivers seat, if in good condition.
I would also like a brown steering wheel with no cracks in the vinyl.
I could possibly trade you for some stainless parts, if you were interested.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Bagheera Lars

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:26:52 pm »

...Original!...Original...Original!!... Wink Thats in my oppinion the absolute best solution, no matter how ugly that might be!...This is after all an (upcoming) Classis-car, and the looks of its time, thats the true soul!!.... Grin. And if thats not an option, then something from that timeperiod...And that is absolutely NOT Alcantara!!......Thats my humble oppinion!...

Lars

M 530 LX 1972, Bagheera 1 S 1976, Rancho 1978
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »

Something like this maybe.

Pics and car from Benny R.

I am seriously thinking of dumping the 3 seat and go for something like this.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:25 pm »

Something like this maybe.
Pics and car from Benny R.

I am seriously thinking of dumping the 3 seat and go for something like this.

Benny R should have his head examined. Cool That is one ugly combination. Embarrassed
I mean, black handle and dash, brown door trim and a snow-white seats and door trim. You don't do stuff like that. Angry Mind you, the seats are beautiful, but the combination is a diisaster. Sad Sad Sad

Now, removing the center seat was done on rally versions of the Murena, so that is a legitimate modification, in my oppinion. I don't know if it would look like your picture, which is ok, but not "wow". But you are more free to experiment in that case. Again IMO. Grin

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »

It is always difficult to combine something with brown.
It is so 70s.
One advantace,  the color of nicotine is the same.
I remember times the whole house had brown/beige  colors.

When I bought my Murena I had on the demandlist.
No brown interior and no yellow car.
I am allergic for yellow.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:36:11 pm by Oetker » Logged

JV

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

Personally, I think brown leather seats are not looking that bad.
Especially in a green Murena they can look fine.

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
Titus

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:19:41 am »

760 Euro including Alcantara or even leather sounds too cheap. Real alcantara is at least 70 Euro per metre. It will take at least 7m for the 3 seats so what does that leave for labour? Be careful of the lowest quote. I paid £700 labour for the 3 seats excluding the leather and striped fabric. This was the cheapest I found in the UK but still had to send it back as workmanship was not perfect.  It looks good now but to me still not perfect. Covered the door cards etc myself.

I wanted the original 'Dog Tooth' 1.6 fabric but despite being in the trade it was not available anywhere. I decided on getting as close to the 2.2 stripe as I could. All I could find was slightly narrower. It works well but is not as I would wish ie original. We have to make do.

If buying a stripe  it is very costly as you need to cut it on the diagonal. ie 5 metres. Leather, if real hides, needs 2 hides in addition to the 5m of stripe. Total cost for my retrim £1100. Can you see the original 'dog tooth' small panel next to the door. I like it this way or could I not get the panel out Smiley

1.6 Murena
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »

Can you see the original 'dog tooth' small panel next to the door. I like it this way or could I not get the panel out Smiley

Hi Titus. That is a good looking interior. I like the leather sides and striped fabric centers on your seats.

The original 'dog tooth' pattern I believe was called "pepita ternet" ('pepita' checkered) in Denmark. I have no idea why, but that is SO 70's that its probably not made for upholstry anywhere.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:48 pm »

The closest you can find is this one.

It is from this firm and yes... it is Opel and pretty expencive €45.- meter.
http://www.westtrading.nl/

They don't deliver to induviduals but maybe there is a adres near that sels it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:44:12 pm by Oetker » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:59 am »

It is always difficult to combine something with brown.
It is so 70s.
One advantace,  the color of nicotine is the same.
I remember times the whole house had brown/beige  colors.

I just bought an old Ford Puma 1.7 Z-tech to run around in while I work on the Murena. The first thing I have to do to the Puma is have the interior decontaminated  Tongue It was a heavy smoker's car and all is covered in brown tar.

Next wednesday I drop it off at Gladbil.dk where they will remove the seats and carpet, then wash everything, inside and out, engine compartment and all. Expected result is a car that looks and smells like new car, Grin  except of course for the dings and rust on rear fenders, which they don't fix. I will do that myself when it gets a little warmer.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:16 am »

Do any of you have a measure of how much material is needed to reupholster the seats and make new dash/door inserts, plus new headliner? What is the minimum width of material required and how long a piece is then needed?  Huh Huh

brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36:53 pm »

...Original!...Original...Original!!... Wink Thats in my oppinion the absolute best solution, no matter how ugly that might be!...This is after all an (upcoming) Classis-car, and the looks of its time, thats the true soul!!.... Grin. And if thats not an option, then something from that timeperiod...And that is absolutely NOT Alcantara!!......Thats my humble oppinion!...
That's why I am so happy I could find a good "S" interior a couple of years ago. I had to pay good money for it (400 Euro), but it came with spare upholstery and the seller installed everything for me. I also replaced the A- and B-pillar upholstery (available through Carjoy), the ceiling (second-hand from a scrap Murena) and the sun visors (thans Randha!) with black ones. Though I have a 1982-model 2.2, it looks quite "S-spec" now. Only the S-engine is missing Wink

btw, Carjoy sells leather seats for 1095 Euro ex VAT (1303 incl.): http://www.carjoy.nl/webshop/artikli.asp?id=12&model=6&pageNum_Recordset2=2

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: