| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: heavy steering  (Read 3621 times)
jack daniels

« on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:46 pm »

the steering has been a bit heavy lately, as if the PAS pump is not working. The amount of assistance seems to come and go. The oil level is ok, no noise from the pump or belt. High RPM seems to make no noticeable difference. After half an hours driving, perhaps when the oil is up to it's max temp,  it may be slightly better but it's hard to tell.

I was just wondering if the steering rack could be damaged.
When I had the inner steering joints replaced in Nov. 2010, the workshop did not use the special renault tools but just a lot of bodyweight on a pipe wrench. Could this have damaged something?

I would guess that winter driving on rutted icy roads would stress the steering rack similarly to a heavy mechanic.

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
dragonzuiko

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:54 am »

I get this on my Espace, i normally lift up the boot which sits down the bottom of the steering column, which is inside the car just behind the pedals. i then spray loads of wd40 in the uj's and turn the steering from side to side at the same time. this stops the heavy steering for a while, usually until the wd40 drys up and i then do it again.got to be worth a try on yours.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: