| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dead espace  (Read 16399 times)
ross

« on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »

Hi all, I new it was too good to be true, my trusty old 2.2dt Grand Espace has been behaving itself, of late, and the first time I let my wife use it the car decides to die on us.
My wife only went a couple of miles, about 5km for our left hand friends, and parked in the local College car park for a couple of hours. When my wife returned to go home the car refused to start.
The central loking unlocked the car, the lights on the dashboard give all the usual readings, including the OK, but the immobiliser light stopped blinking and stayed on permanently, while trying to start the engine.
When the key is removed the immobiliser light returns to its steady blinking once more.
We have tried the second key and that has had no success.
I am getting that desparate I am thinking of taking it to the RENAULT agent to put on the diagnostics, and selling one of the children to pay the bill.
I have heard that there is a code that can be entered into the car electronics via the central locking button, to override the immobiliser, but what the code is and how you enter it I do not know.
I appreciate that without one of the electronic diagnostic readers the fault is almost impossible to tell, but any help, from bitter experiance no doubt, would be gratefully received.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:27 am »

It sounds as if the uch is dead, but first things first re-sync the keys. Yes you need the code & it is dependant on the age of the car as to what system it is fitted with. Is your key square with an infrared led in the front of it. Or is it oval with a red led on the button side? If it is square then take it apart to find the key no. This no. you need to put into a calculator that you download from http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Test_for_Renault_Key_Immobiliser_failures_emergency_recode

Follow the instructions on the page for re-sync.

If no go then the uch is dead. It is not the end of the world it can be bypassed but we need more info about your car first.

Now if your car has the oval key you should try your dealer for the code. You will need id for this & they may even insist they have the car. If this is the case contact me & I will see if my contacts can get it for you.
Let me know how you go.
ross

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »

Hi Brian, My Espace is a year 2000 on a W plate, and has the electronics, can-bus system. I don't want to sound like doubting thomas, but all the other functions of both keys we have for the car work as normal. The central locking works, with all the flashing lights, and the alarm works, as I found to my cost when I left the bonnet open, so re-synchronising the keys wasn't something I thought could have been the fault. If you think that this could be the fault, I am willing to try and perform this re-synchronising, if you can explain, in words of one syllable how to do it. I would be both relieved and annoyed at the same time to find out that re-synchronising was the fault  as I have always have paid particular attention to making sure that both keys have been used equally to prevent this problem.
Many thanks for your response to my plea for help, and I await your reply.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
renaultbiler

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »

Your problem is communication problems between UCH and the coded solenoid valve either due to solenoid lacking power or coded line problem.

Check the crash button (inertia switch) i the engine bay (if fitted), try to reset it as this cuts off the solenoid.
If no luck, check wiring and connector on diesel pump/solenoid. If 10 pin connector the solenoid pinout is pin 8,9 and 10 if my memory is correct. Have the pinout available at home for more details. On these 3 pins you have 12v after ign, 0v and coded line.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
BrianM

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »

Hi Ross,
the only code input via the central locking is the code from the key. This not the key resync per say. It should allow you to start the car.  But as I said & Tom it is most likely to be uch related. But worth a go.
If yours is the square key then all the info is on the bbareman site.
renaultbiler

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:41 am »

I did not say its a problem with UCH, the UCH is probably ok - not the first part to start with anyhow.
When the immobiliser LED is constant ON it wont allow you to enter security code.

2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
ross

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »

Hi all,  just a further update on the immobilser problem with my Espace.
My local independant Renault Garage man came round to my house with his diagnostics and could not pinpoint the fault with my electronics.
A physical test of the wiring shows that there is no 12v at the connector into the diesel pump solenoid. With this in mind there was talk of the "inertia switch" not letting the solenoid open as it thinks there has been a crash.
The only problem is there didn't seem to be a switch where there is one on the earlier model.
Does anyone know where they hide this switch, and or if there is one on the later 2.2td engine.
The next plan is to send all my electronics, dashboard + B11 + keys to someone who can re-programme the B11.
Do we know of a reliable repairer of these units ?
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
renaultbiler

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »

If it is no Inertia fitted this function is replaced by the airbag computer. If locked the airbag computer should show "fuel cut off: active" when reading out status with CLIP. Normally this only happends when an impact blows airbags.

I think more there is a connection problem somewhere, take apart all connectors in the engine fuse box. You could have a "green" connection somewhere down there.

If the solenoid is missing 12v that is not due to a problem with BII unit.

1982 R20TX 2.2
ross

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »

Hi Renaultbiler, many thanks for the reply to my last message. I will certainly try all the connectors in the fuse box, and will hope that it is as simple as that. When you mentioned the "Airbag" computer, it reminded me that I have always had the airbag symbol come up briefly on the dashboard, when I first start the engine, but it always goes out after a few seconds. I have always suspected some loose connector under the front seat.
I will let you all know how the connector clean-up turns out.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
BrianM

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »

The documents you need for this are in the vault try: http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/NT3919A.pdf

I bought a dci with the same problem. I replaced the ecu & bII to get it running again. Cost me £75. If you go this route make sure all from the same car & model as yours & you get the immo chip from the key fob. You should ask for the kms & if they are in excess of your car you should have someone zero the 908 chip in the bcu.

If the earlier car then check the wiring loom in the footwells. Does everything else work? have found rot in footwell looms due to water ingress.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:31:42 pm by BrianM » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: