| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Removing the door lock barrel  (Read 18513 times)
Staps

« on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:57 am »

I lock my Espace using the door lock, however the other day the lock barrel came out on the key, this is the central barrel the bit that turns with the key.
I’ve taken the door card off but how do you take the remaining lock barrel out so I can see what’s broken and what I need to replace. I can’t find any information in the manual in the vault about removing the locking mechanism.
My central locking doesn’t work from my key fob, my fault I went swimming with it in my pocket. So I’ve lived by using the central locking button and lock the passenger door with the key.
Any help appreciated as at the moment I have to leave one door of the Espace unlocked.

Espace 3: 2000 2L 16v manual
Staps

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:26 am »

I think my story has just got worse. Since the lock has been broken I’ve been using the central locking switch with either the driver or the front passenger door open and that leaves that door unlocked. In a hurry last night I flicked the switch with a rear passenger door open then shut it, when I tried it it was locked and so were the front two doors. So with a busted key fob and lock I think I’m locked out of the car!
My only hope is there’s enough remains inside the lock to turn with a screwdriver, the only bit that’s broken is the bit that turns with the key that in turn turns a lever to work the catch.

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:41:18 pm »

Oh dear! I hope you can get into the car again   Shocked

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Staps

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »

I'm back in Smiley I noticed that the sun was shining right into the empty door lock barrel, so using a thin screw driver was able to find the bit that moved and unlock the door. Big sigh of relief.
The local Renault dealer gave me the parts drawing of the lock mechanism and the ‘U’ shaped clip that holds the barrel in the door is infact a rather large piece of folded tin that is attached with a screw.
Once that was out the barrel was loose, but just could not get the barrel + lever out of the door. I took the door catch off and pushed the whole thing up as far as possible to get the barrel and lever to poke out of the door. The plastic lever is attached to the barrel by two spring clips, I took these off leaving the lever attached to the operating rod. I then took the lever off the replacement barrel and attached it to the one in the door.
It’s just so fiddly trying to work inside the door and ideally you need four very small hands.

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »

Hooray! Good to hear Shocked)

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
e.space.3

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

Sorry for revival of an old thread.

Where did you find replacement lock barrel ?
Anybody know an european internet shop?

I have ordered this
http://automotive.overstockmarket.com/item/7701203420/2494
received it but it is not for Espace 3 although I spoke with dutch guys before ordering, and they give me their written warranty it will fit on Espace 3.

Thank you

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
ross

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »

Hi Straps,
A little difficult to follow your tale of woe, but if you still need some advice on how to extract the door lock, read on.
The barrel is held by a stainless steel spring clip on the inner face of the door and the clip is secured with a single screw.
Remove the screw and the spring clip and you will be able to pull it down to release the barrel.
The wire actuator is held into the lock by a red plastic clip that hooks around the wire.
With just your finger you should be able to unclip it and release the wire, and then the whole assembly is removed through the hole in the door skin.
When the central lcking packs up and you are forced to use the key in the door the locks do no last too long.
A small pin on the back of the lock barrel is the first to shear off, and then the circlip will come off which is how the barrel comes out with the key.
I have had to replace the lock on my Espace twice before I got the central locking fixed.
There should be plenty of second hand locks available as the scrapyards are full of Espaces with blown engines.
A secondhand lock will work if you swap the series of key plates in the barerel to match your key.
If you get a second hand lock just undo the circlip and remove the barrell pull out the key plates in order and replace them with the ones from your lock so that your key will work.
As I said I have done this on 2 occassions, and I have a spare lock if you need one.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
Staps

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »

No I’m OK now thanks replacement barrel back in, £10 from a scrappy and I did just remove the clip on the back of the barrel to remove the lever, as just could not see how to get the lever and the barrel out of the door. And you’re right the pin doesn’t look man enough for the job long term.
Is the only way to sort the central locking is to buy second hand instrument display with matching key fob and whatever the other bits are, as described on another thread?

e.space.3

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:42:17 pm »

Thank you for your explanation Ross.
I'm interested in your spare lock. Mine (broken one) is for left hand drive vehicle.
Yours is for Right hand Drive or Left Hand Drive? If it will fit in ours Espace, I wan't to buy it from you.

Or anybody knows a trusted, honest european online shop to buy it from new?
I've searched the Internet via Google and found just one shop but they send me the wrong part. And seems, they don't have the right part for my Espace.

This is what they send me:

Is the only way to sort the central locking is to buy second hand instrument display with matching key fob and whatever the other bits are, as described on another thread?

You could install very easy a third party central locking system/alarm. But, another gadget in your pocket !!!  Grin

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
ross

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »

Hi e.space.3
the lock I have came from my UK version of the Espace, right hand drive, but the lock fits in the left front door.
I will try and find it amongst all the mess in my Garage and take some photos.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
ross

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »

Hi e.space.3

here are a few photos of the lock, and a photo of the inner barrell which shows the key plates which you will need to swap from your lock to make the key fit.
I have more phots if you need them but couldn't post them here due to overload.
let me know if this is of use to you.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
e.space.3

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:42:41 am »

Hello
What a wonderful place, what a wonderful people  Grin

Thank you Ross
The photos are more than enough.
If the solution for RHD to LHD is flipping the plastic rod, then I'm interested in buying it.
Fortunately I kept the old little plates. And I think the swap operation it will be easy.

You have PM Ross.

RESPECT

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
ross

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:44 pm »

Hi e.space.3

not certain about the differences between a LHD and a RHD, but as I said before the lock on RHD vehicles is on the passenger front door, drivers door for european vehicles, so I would have thought they were the same.
perhaps one of our more knowledgeable contibutors might know.
I am not sure how to go about getting the lock I have to you as I didn't realise you were in Rumania. If you know how to go about it then let me know, and if you pay the delivery costs it is yours.
Regards
Ross

1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
e.space.3

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:55 am »

So

It must be identical .... as it is about same door, the left front door.
ok you have PM.

last minute:
I have read again your posts and now realised the fact that you already told me that.... my mistake, sorry.
RESPECT
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:07:21 am by e.space.3 » Logged

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
e.space.3

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:33 pm »

Hi Ross

I have removed the Lock barrel and it looks like yours, so there are 99% chances to fit.

You have PM with address.

1999 JE0N F4R A 700 RXE
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: