| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rad Replaced but further hel req'd  (Read 38780 times)
ross

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »

Hi jag,

I must be getting demented in my old age, as I have just put the photo attached on another thread, by mistake.
The photo shows the bleed screw on the drivers side, assuming you are one of us and drive on the correct side of the car.
It is very tight to get in over the inlet manifold on the 2.2dti, but just about manageable, but if the bleed screw decides to be tight it can be difficult to undo unless you can get a dumpy screwdriver on it.
Best of luck.
Regards
Ross
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:21:01 pm by ross » Logged

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
jag

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »

Hi again to all, the rad saga continues :-

I managed to get hold of another radiator, virtually new about 4 months old.  Stuck it in, bled the system as been informed and this time I actually flushed the whole system out with a graden hose system to force any air out of the sysytem.  But still the new Rad starts to smoke from the right hand side in the middle / bottom part as soon as the car gets to about 4 bars which is the normal temp after abt 15-20mins.   The temp doesn't overheat but the smoke seems worrying as the bottom of the rad is still cold so my fans will never come on.

Now the only thing that comes to mind is that before I went about to replace the rad, when I lost nearly all my coolant from the expansion tank, I didn't have any premixed type 'D' coolant and just used water and carried on using water for about 2/3 days didnt do much mileage within these 2/3 days. Then I brought some red coolant which I had to mix with water and used that, it seemed fine. Didn't notice anything unusual about the car, used it normally. Didn't get stuck in any traffic jams so unsure whether my fans would have worked in that situation or not.  Now i've been using the red coolant since starting the rad replacement works. 
My brother in law who is an 'AA patrol man ,now mentions to me that that you shouldn't mix te two colours a they can turn into a jelly type substance.   
My worry now is that I may have a type of blockage within the cooling system.  What I need to know now is thatdo i disconnect all the hoses and flush out the system to try to clear out anything that may be stuk or am I in deeper trouble than that.  Pls any help most appreciated.  Regards Jag

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
jag

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 04:54:24 pm »

Sorry Ross, But I did look around the drivers side and couldn't see anything , but will try again with a mirror. My steering wheel is on the right hand side so I assume u mean we drive on the correctside of the road  I didn't see your foto until now and will check again. But I did notice another bleed SCREW like the one in yur foto on the right hand side hose where it splits into 2 parts a thick and thin piece. I am not talking abt the left hand hose with the tyre type bleed screw but the right hand side one. But I broke the damn screw half in and am unable to remove it or tighten it, its leaking there so now I gotta replace that hose or see if I can remove the broken part of the screw thread.  I broke it after the rad had been smoking as I didn't notice it before.  Thanks anyway  will keep trying, hope I havn't damaged anything within.

Regards Jag

ross

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »

Hi Jag,
sorry to hear your still having waterworks trouble.
I did much the same thing with the bleed screw infront of the thermostat housing, but managed to seal it with some Fernox sealant and a cable tie to hold the head of the bleed screw down.
It is still working nearly 2 years later, so I can recommend it.
Regards
Ross

2005 Grande Espace 2.2DCi
1994 2.1Td Espace
2005 Kangoo 1.2
1977 Renault 16TL
1974 Renault 16TX
jag

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »

Hi 2 all - it'S been a while since I last had a look at the espace.  Put everything back to together after finally flushing the system out with a garden hose. Refilled with coolant and replace thermostat as my prevous one was taking too long to open up. At least with the new thermostat the whole of th rad is now getting hot including both hoses. The temp goes to 4 bars (normal) but the rad starts to smoke and don't want to leave car running too long like that. But thge damn fans won't come on and the rad starts to smoke / steam. So is there still air in the system ?
I couldn't find the other bleed screw on the driver side for th Heater Matrix only the one on the passenger side.

I have tried to short out the fan temp switch and the left hand fan does operate. So how can i test the temp senor on the rad just in case it is not faulty Huh?  Any ideas pls

So put all the car back together and going to try it out as was suggested by BrianM to drive it with the filler cap off and see if clears out any trapped air. Will try that out, but just noticed the my oil pressure light is now illuminating on the dash all the time. Since bleeding, etc, I did get alot of water all over the engine when doing this procedure. Is it poss I may have got water on the oil pressure switch ? If so where is the oil pressure switch, the car sounds absolutely normal ? Any help most appreciated - Regards Jag

BrianM

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »

I would replace the fan switch if the area around it is too hot to touch. I think it is just a bimetal on/of switch. The car should only need the fans on in the heat of summer if you get stuck in traffic. You could of course turn the aircon on (if you have it) to activate the fans.
jag

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 02:37:11 pm »

Hello all,
Great news is that my Rad has finally stopped smoking and my Cooling fan works, all is well in that dept. But my Oil pressure light keeps on coming on (red one meaning low oil pressure ). I have took it for a spin for about 4/5 miles. Didn't hear any unusual noises coming from the engine and it seems to pick up speed all ok.  It had been parked up since 1st April when I started the Rad replacement works. It was parked on a slight incline, so I checked the Oil and it was in between the min and max,so I topped it up a bit, but Damn light still on.
I have pulled the plug off the switch in case I might have got water on it or  in it. When I was bleeding the coolant previously umpteen times. But the Switch Plug looks dry
I was intending to test the switch in situ, but can't get my meter probes into the connectors on the switch due to clearance between the switch and Rad.  I know a new switch is only about £7/8 from GSF car parts.
My intention is to replace the switch and after  replacing that if my light is still on, then I will have to get the Oil pressure checked with a gauge.
Any one else have this problem with a MK3 Espace ?  Or does anyone have any other info / reasons as to why my Oil pressure light has only started to come on during the rad replacement works. I am going camping on Sunday and there is no way I can fit all my Gear in a Peugeot 206 with 2 Adults and 3 kids. So help urgently needed please

Regards Jag

jag

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

Hello again to all - Managed to sort out my oil light, it was a dodgy Oil pressure switch.  Well pleased with that.
But I have a problem with my heater blower, it's been  ok for a while now. But somedays the blower does'nt work. The lights on the control panel on the switch all work but no hot or cold air being blown at all. I've been meaning to take the dash apart to have a look but  it's been fine until now. Was working before and after the rad replacement but it's decided to stop working again. Just as I am about to go camping tomorrow in the rain.  Has anybody had similar problems like  mine ?  If so is there anything in the Vault regarding Heater problems. Any help most appreciated as always - Regards Jags

renaultsan

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:21 pm »

I would suggest that you make sure that the fan switch is working, that can be tested easily. Also test the fans by disconnecting the connector to the loom and applying battery power, if the fan does not run at that point, change the fan. You might also have a look at the thermostat, it may work to a point but not open fully or it may stuck in the closed position. A blocked radiator is still a possibility but I think you should start with the operation checks for the radiator fan switch and the fans. Does your radiator have a separate filler cap? my 1990 Espace does and filling the system has to started by filling the radiator and replacing the cap and only then add water via the expansion bottle. The bottle should be raised above the level of the radiator whilst this is being done. Once full, refit the bottle, start the engine and run for a couple of minutes to allow the level to stabilise in the system. One more thing (the Columbo bit) make sure your heater valve is fully open to hot , if not it is possible to get an air lock in the heater matrix.

Renault Alpine GTA D500
Renault 25 V6 Automatic
Renault 25 TXI Multivalve
1990 Renault Espace
1974 Renault 15 TL 1300
1978 Renault 15 GTL 1300
Renault 25 GTX 2,2
Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Vans (2)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: