| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: tailgate switch fault  (Read 4825 times)
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:01 pm »

Hi all,

It seems that, once a year, I have some troubles with my 1999 3.0 V6 24V Espace  Shocked

This time it is a matter of the tailgate switch. I have found it indirectly: first, when closing / opening the car with the plip, it didn't light the warning lights, as it had always done. Then, I have drived the car for about 10km and the selflevelling error light has lighted... Yes, there is a relation among both things!. If the car thinks the tailgate is open, it won't acknowledge the plip with blinkers and, it seems, won't manage correctly the selflevelling system (it is probably thinking you are changing load from time to time)

Then, the definitive clue: the tailgate internal light remains ON even if the tailgate is closed (luckily, it switches off after some minutes)

So, the question is... where is the tailgate switch located?. I have not been able to find a suitable electrical schematic nor parts location Sad

Thanks for your help!

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
turbina

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »

Hello!
The switch is located on the right side of closing mechanizem on the door(inside its the mircoswitch
and sametimes gets jammed).
 I hope that will help you,
 cheers Zoran
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

Hello Zoran.

Hello!
The switch is located on the right side of closing mechanizem on the door(inside its the mircoswitch
and sametimes gets jammed).
 I hope that will help you,
 cheers Zoran

Thanks a lot for the hint!

Yes, I found it. In order to try to fix it, I took that part off. It was quite a chore to remove all the parts to arrive to the lever lock mechanism and sensor cabling in order to remove the lock from the tailgate. Unfortunately, the switch is OK, but the mechanical plastic piece which should move it when the lock is closed, is broken. That is a very tiny part inside of the lock mechanism, which can't be dismantled nor easily fixed.

So I thought a bit  Wink... the switch just detects if the tailgate is closed or not. And the opening of that door means a 90 degree movement. Also, that switch only actuates over a control line, so it does not need to switch too much power... yes, I could use a mercury switch  Cheesy!!!

(this is a WEB image I have found)

I looked all around my parts drawers and found a mercury wetted reed relay, which is NOT what I wanted, but, as it had a drop of mercury inside, it could be used to test my idea. And, yes, it works  Grin!. So I have temporarily installed it until I receive the real mercury switch. So far, the car behaves as it shoud.

I have used the original cabling, cut at the microswitch end, and then I have soldered there, with a good isolation (for moisture), the mercury gadget. Then the unit is fixed to the door in the correct angle with some plastic tie wraps.

I have ordered several mercury switches as my idea is to put some of them in parallel, to prevent failures. They are cheap (less than 0.50US$ each), so I can put several without a big expense  Wink

I will post pictures once I have them assembled and also on the mounting point. as I think this idea could be used by other people with a similar problem.

Regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
BrianM

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

I like the way you think Jose Smiley
Thanks for letting us know. If only I could open the hatch on one of mine!!
Brian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: