| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Door locks  (Read 14677 times)
TimS

« on: March 17, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »

Can anyone suggest what can be done to repair or replace the Murena door locks?

Both of mine are badly worn. The drivers door will not lock with the key and the passenger door will soon be the same. I guess the springs are worn out inside. The doors lock ok on the inside though so the actual mechanism might be fine. It is simply the lock barrels that are worn out.

Are replacements available? It would be a shame to have to have two keys now but I don't see a choice.
JL

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »

Hi Tim

You could always try something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Remote-Central-Locking-Fits/dp/B002RL2BG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363559016&sr=8-3

Regards
John
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:36 am »

There are complete kits with the door-locks immo lock but they have a price.
Most of the time there is to much play at the lever.
The square hole is the problem so try to repair it.

Also every inside part of this lock is removable.
The inside of the lock has plates that make a certain key fit.
This plates you can replace so you can make the lock work with immo key.

Herman

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
TimS

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:31:49 am »

Thanks. I'm going to strip down the doors as most of the screw fasteners are so loose they need attention to hold the door panel on. So I will take the lock out and try some repairs.

Otherwise I was thinking about the remote kit which gets away from needing to use the key.
klumzer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32:27 am »

I will give you a part number when I arrive home (Wednesday). I bought a pair of door lock barrels on ebay as a replacement. It needed some modification but nothing serious. But now I have three keys (fuel cap, ignition key and door lock).

Lot of French cars use very similar door lock barrels (Neimann-Valeo), but the fiber glass is thicker than the metal plate so you have to widen the groove for the retainer fork, easy job. Other parts are more or less interchangeable.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

Thanks. I'm going to strip down the doors as most of the screw fasteners are so loose they need attention to hold the door panel on.
------
I have the problem of stripped holes in the fiberglass so the door panel won't stay on. My plan is to install riv-nuts to allow using threaded screws. This should be a permanent fix if you put a washer behind the fiberglass before tightening the riv-nut.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
TimS

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 05:57:00 pm »

Well, I hadn't heard of rivnuts before and had to google them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

Ironic that they are used in aircraft, as I fly for a living but have never used one! However it could be the best solution to fixing the door panels, as you say.

A pair of refitted lock barrels would be ideal. I don't really mind having another key but if I rebuild the doors, I might try the remote locking as well. I have to completely strip the passenger door to look at the window motor. I think it is worn out but I managed to bring the drivers door back from the dead, so I'll see.
klumzer

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »

Here is the part number:

Neiman-Valeo 252087. These lock barrels are used on Peugeot 305, 505. I think Peugeot 309 has a very similar one so it could be used too.
As I mentioned, you have to widen the groove for the retainer fork.
TimS

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:57 pm »

Thank you. I'll look out for some and plan to rebuild each door completely. I need some plastic trunking too to cover the wiring between the door and the car if anyone knows a good fit?
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »

Hmmmm just sold out, but you need this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-CONDUIT-TUBE-DISCOVERY-RANGE-ROVER-FLEXI-RUBBER-PIPE-FOR-DOOR-WIRING-LOOM-/300727920952?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4604c7e938

Look around voor Land/Rangerover

speedyK

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:20:52 pm »

Well, I hadn't heard of rivnuts before and had to google them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut
That has to be the least informative Wikipedia page I've ever seen!

Has the author never heard of the phrase, "A picture paints a thousand words"?

> A YouTube clip is even better!  <

Incurable petrolhead!
northmurena

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »

What should we do w/o Youtube ;-). Was just thinking about making some photo but Youtube saved my time :-)

I have used these rivets also for my door-panels and some other parts where the fiberglass worned out.

@ Jon: You don´t need to put washers behind them. They are spreeding out wide and flat and are also available with a wide, flat head. But you need a special tool to fix them. If you are not in a hurry, i can take some with me in September. Or if you are in Djursland sooner.......

Kai
TimS

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »

Ah, all good stuff thanks. I need to ask one of the engineers in the hangar at my airline if they can find me some spare rivnuts Wink

Now, next I need some good glue for the carpets and plastic/vinyl trim on the pillars in the rear compartment. Tried PVA but it didn't hold, some maybe something stronger.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:37 am »

You can find the nut-rivets also in well nuts.
They are rubber and you don't need the tool that is expensive if you want a good one that doesn't break at the first nut.
For plate material they do fine.

JL

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:55:26 am »

Tim you need an automotive quality contact adhesive which I believe that you can buy from Frosts (www.frost.co.uk). The normal contact  adhesives Evostic etc. do not like the high temperatures that can be generated inside a car standing in the sun.

Regards
John
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: