| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Espace 2.2 dci 2002 mk3 power loss not reving  (Read 48922 times)
kertrats24

« on: April 15, 2013, 09:52:15 pm »

Help please I have seen people having similar problems but havent seen a definative answer heres the problem im having my wife driving the espace home on the A30 doing 70mph suddenly lost all power and the zigzag simble appered but the engine continued running she pulled over and turned the engine off then turned it back on and it was fine. It did it twice more on the way home on B roads doing 30 40mph when i got home i checked the egr and it was clogged so i cleaned it also checked all connections and put some fuel in it because it was down to one noch.

I took it for a run it was fine coming home today and on the A30 70mph and no power again the engine just wont rev pull over turn off the  ignition back on and its fine again.
I was down to one noch of fuel again there is no smoke the only other fault i do get is sometimes she wont start all i need to do is joggle the wire for the tdc sensor and it starts first time.
I would love any thoughts just avoding the A30 is not an option.
thanks stu 
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:47:03 pm »

It would be a good idea to fix or replace the sensor, it is used all the time by the ecu & not just for starting. If it is problamatic then it is not going to help your diagnosis. Find someone to read the ecu for faults or buy a code reader, maxidiag 704.   
kertrats24

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »

I,ve had the car in a local garage they say it has low boost pressure and have performed a smoke test on it and have found smoke coming out the EGR valve so say they would recomend changing that but thier not sure that will fix it.
firstly would a faulty egr cause loss of power limp home mode.
what price should a egr cost the garage quoted 169+vat renault said 179+vat europarts 131.95 inc vat and del.
whats the likley hood replacing it will fix it...
regards stuart
BrianM

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »

The car should run with it disconnected! Try cleaning it out first. You may need to use petrol or 'oven pride' to soften the carbon, but worth a go. there are several 'how to' guides on the net if you search.
kertrats24

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:57:15 pm »

I gave it a good clean before I took in it was almost completely blocked with soot
BrianM

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:28:00 am »

Does the garage have a renault diagnostic device. With a fault code we can look up the problem & repair guide in renault dialogys manual.
kertrats24

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:18 am »

The garage said they did the only thing they showed me was some hand written notes on the faults they found if the actual codes will help I will call the garage later and see if they've saved them.
They said the computer had logged.
Timing fault.. My thoughts are the tdc sensor as I found the car won't start sometimes until you wiggle the wire then it starts first time.

Low boot pressure.... They thought they could hear a air leek so did a smoke test and found some leaking through the egr valve so I will replace that today.

There was a few other fault codes for sensors but they didn't return once cleared.
BrianM

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:55:29 am »

The dci has a reputation for bad connections & trapped leads under the top cover. Get the fault codes & with the right pdf from the vault you will have all the repair procedure you need to sort it without guessing. Even if the egr is jammed I doubt it will make much difference. Some people remove it & blank it off.
kertrats24

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:56 am »

I've replaced the egr valve and it drove great for about a day I have power again but it's still getting a sudden drop of power normally while at speed and only get the power back if you drop the key back a noch then back on.
BrianM

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »

Did you get the fault codes yet?
kertrats24

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »

Hi BrianM
No they wrote them on a peice of paper and cleared his desk now cant find them i've booked it in the local renault dealer monday for a full diagnossis cost £32+vat .
I removed the map sensor today and used some cold clean on it its a cleaning solution we use at work on electrial componets i also removed the pipe its attachet to and made sure it was clear.
since i bourght this car about 2+years ago it seemed to be running on 70% power now i think its at about 95%+.

two problems still persist 1 new and the old one to a lesser degree.

1.the new one driving along trying to hold a constant speed and i feel a very slight pulsing in power like driving along tapping your foot. i think i can also feel this if the car is ticking over and i cover the air intake or exhaust with my hand its a bit like a hartbeat.

2.the old one the engine is now only cutting the power when under load ie going uphill and excelerating not all the time like it was and i still get power back when i cycle the key.

Any input on these welcome.
I will post a update once ive seen renault.
BrianM

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:18 am »

It could be something simple like a blocked tank vent. Maybe try leaving the fuel filler cap loose or off for trial. This could cause the hunting you talk about. An air leak into the fuel system could do the same. This would cause hard starting though.
kertrats24

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »

Oook
Been to the dealers there was a few codes

Df019 air flow sensor circuit 2def
Df022 air temp sensor circuit co.1
Df072 fuel pressure information 6def =pressure drop in gallery
Df078 boost pressure waste gate 1def
Df084 egr valve position sensor co.0
Df061 primer plugs circuit 1def.

After clearing the codes non returned when they drove it until I drove it when the only code to return was df072 according to the guy at the garage this means I have a leaky injector. So I asked him to do a leak back test 32.00+vat as a rough estimate he said it's about 250+vat for the injectors and 2 hours for removal and refitting.

Does this sound about right.
Btw
I found its not just loosing power the engine is stopping
BrianM

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:18 am »

I wouldn't go spending loads of money on injectors just yet. Does it blow loads of smoke on start up in the morning?
I would investigate the engine wiring loom before anything else. You have a lot of faults here. Looking at the fault code for the fuel rail pressure drop it tells you to check the wiring & sensor first. Take a look at http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/NT3919A.pdf
Print the pages you need & have a good read. The dci is renowned for having bad connections. You may need to remove the loom & strip it back to check it is all good.
kertrats24

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

No my car never smokes white black nothing and co2 came back ok on the mot.
The leak back test shows the no.2 injector is def leaking and they say the wiring and sensor checks out total cost £491.56 :-< they assure me this will fix it and i need it for friday as i have a caravan holiday booked so ive given them the nod and fingers crossed.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: