| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Murena 1.9i XU9JA (205 gti) performance  (Read 56206 times)
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: October 07, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »

I have just had my converted Murena 1.9i on a rolling road, with some rather impressive results.

Originally the engine is a Peugeot 205 1.9 gti 8 valve version, which was famed to produce 128 hp, but in fact few of them really did, so I have always expected 120hp.

Recently I realised my car was pretty much up to the task of outperforming a genuine 'S' on a track, or at least equal it, so I was quite interested in getting it measured.

The engine has just been completely rebuilt, new pistons, liners, bearings etc, and the result is an impressive 136 hp at 5022 rpm, and an even more impressive 205 Nm torque at 3324 rpm !

The torque curve is also quite wide, giving over 180Nm in the range 2200rpm-top.
I have attached the readout.

I also have a theory that my car was lightened quite substancially by fitting this engine, - but until now I haven't had it weighed (silly me). However, I have pictures of the car before and after the conversion which suggests that the rear suspension raised itself 2-3 cm after the conversion, which in round figures would be 50 kg or so...

Before:
   http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/Conv/P1.9i-8v-ls/Med/19951017_001.html

and after:
  http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/Conv/P1.9i-8v-ls/Med/mvc-011s.html

(It *is* the same car, but the licenseplate differs, as I had that 903X "diplomatic" one on, while I lived in the UK.)

This way, it is no surprise that the car is quick and nimble.

I just looooooooove this (Matramagic-) conversion, and can only recommend it. I am fully convinced that the Murena was designed for this engine - and had it not been for the early end of production for other reasons, that engine would have found its way to the Murena enginebay.

/Lennart
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:43:19 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:35 pm »

Thats very impressive, would you care to share with us the price that Matramagic charge for such a conversion?

There is another Murena in my town and I spoke to the owner today. It is another Matramagic 1.9 gti conversion and the car hasn't moved for ages and he wants rid of it. Maybe I should buy it for the engine?

Does anyone want more details on this car?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:39:24 pm »

My conversion was done in the previous century, and the price was impossible to make out, as I had a list as long as the car, with other things I wanted put right. (roof without sunroof, water pipes, radiator, respray, trailing arms, etc etc etc)

I believe Matramagic have stopped doing these, - probably because the price was too low (Will, are you here ?) - and they only did quite few.

Could the one in your town be a 16V motronic version ?

I specifically wanted the torqy 8v engine, as that would be easier to get accepted in Denmark, - however, rules have changed since then, so if only the car has been approved in another EU country, then it is per definition approved in Denmark. (Alfa) V6 is now possible - at least in theory!

Hooray! - something good has come from EU ! (except the common-currency idea, which of course, Silly-Denmark has chosen NOT to adopt :-/  )
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:44:22 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 09:23:30 pm »

Well I went to see this car and it hasn't moved for a couple of years. Quite a nice installation of the 1.9 gti engine, with the ecu in the boot compartment. It was just the 8v version, although I have heard of some mi16 versions.

It had a spoiler and a sunroof too. It is a 1981 Murena and will soon have an MOT, prior to sale.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:18:04 am »

One thing to be aware reguarding xu conversions is, that it is only the 1.6 murena that has simmilar enginemountings to the peugeot..... the 2.2 is different.
130-136 hp are the figures stated for the 205 1.9 gti.. so, for a complete, and professionally rebuild engine it is spot on!!.. still everything considered it, and the 200+nm of torque is mighty impressive!!...
... of cause this makes your engine swap illigal by danish law, unless you have payed the extra tax Lennart!!.
Should you be in a crash your ensurance can refuse any obligations, as you have exceeded 20% of the original engine output!!.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 01:07:34 pm by krede » Logged
Will Falconer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:03:35 am »

Does anyone want more details on this car?

That's our prototype. It was a very early 1.6 before conversion.  Gerry has owned the car for many years but I don't think he uses it much.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:14:06 pm »

... of cause this makes your engine swap illigal by danish law
yup, provided I tell them these figures.
I had a long talk with the car inspection authority before I initially did the conversion, and they could not see anyone complaining about 25% increase (I optimistically quoted the 1.6 as a 97hp, as Matra did occationally Smiley  - and 97+25% is roughly the 122hp I would have thought this old 205gti engine pumped out)

Besides, I still have paid 50% more import-tax than other people, mainly because I followed the rules, and had it import-taxed where I live : near Copenhagen.  After some negotiation, the tax ended at something which later turned out to be TWICE the amount the people in the more rural areas paid - and a year later (in '97), when I figured that out, I wrote them, complaining about this, and they amazingly sent me a cheque(!) - decreasing my tax about 150% of others.

Not wanting to hear more about this, i obliged, and shut up. :-)

But still, that makes my concience clear for this engine conversion, - not that it makes it more legal in administrational terms, but I realy don't care. My car is old, and un-original, - I cannot see it being worth MORE than standard Murena's. In fact, as a classic car, it is worth less.

Lets see how the newly imported Alfa-V6 fares ...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:16:51 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:33:30 am »

if the car was imported as a "1.9" and says so in the papers, then you are ok, otherwise.. as i said... you can get in A LOT of trouble if you are ever in a crash....
That the guy at the inspection has no authority reguarding insurance issues... and they frequently pass cars that breaks the 20% rule...... But as long as the cars papers doesnt state that the car is modified and approved whith the changes, it is still illigal.
(i did quite a bit of reserch on this subject when i was putting the 6 cylinder senator engine in my old manta  Cool )

as for the v6 murena.... If it has been approved in another eu country, and has the paperwork to show it, there shouldn't be any thouble.
Often people import tuned or "converted" cars from germany to Denmark,instead of doing it themselves, simply because it would be impossible to get the right papers in Dk.... sad... but true
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:22:44 am »

Come and live in England! No-one cares how much you tune your cars and some insurance companies don't even charge extra for modified engines etc.

You can get 102RON pump fuel, at a price and some of the best circuits in Europe to drive around.

Also, don't believe the hype about congested roads, if you pick the road and time carefully, you can have miles of empty, winding roads to enjoy.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 12:15:41 pm »

He has been there... don't know why he returned - I think it was something about family... isn't it always? Cheesy

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 01:01:46 pm »

... and they drive in the wrong side of the road over there too!!  Tongue
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 01:22:43 pm »

Good point, it does make overtaking in the Matra more difficult, as do toll booths.

On the other hand, I do get a good look at any pretty girls I pass!

Anyway, we digress...
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 07:27:36 pm »

toll booths were the only real problem, especially as I have manual windows Smiley
Overtaking in the Murena just ment a good excuse for pedal to the metal :-)

Besides, since ABS was invented, most brits drive like maniacs, so I rarely had any need to overtake :-)

Actually we're heading overthere again next week (dans l'Espace) , for a short trip to Reading - mainly because my daughter is annoyed that she hasn't been there since 1999, and its her birthday, so we thought that would be a good present.

/Lennart
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:34:22 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 08:59:44 pm »

If you come on the ferry via Dover and drive up the M20 to the M25 on the way to Reading, you'll pass within a few miles of my house and you'd be welcome to pop in for a cup of tea, but I'm off to Cyprus, so you can't.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

but I'm off to Cyprus, so you can't.
good old English hospitality :-)

We'll pass your house pretty late, in a rush to reach Reading before midnight - so thanks
for the offer, but I'd rather save it for some other time - even if that means you might be
home at the time. You see, I'm an adventurous guy :-)

Have a nice one at Cyprus !

/Lenart

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: