| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Murena 1.9i XU9JA (205 gti) performance  (Read 56445 times)
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2007, 07:31:09 am »

In either case my experience has been that even the simplest looking engine conversion, has a tendency to end up much more time labour and money consuming then one had the fantasy to imagine before the project was started... especially things that aren't a "bolt on" fit and parts that has to be custom made, can be a real pain in the rear.

Agree 100%
Fit an other engine is much much more work than just "fit an engine" When the motor is in place you've done 5% off the job. Even with an easy engine as a 1900-8v. Most people think of a convertion only of fabricating some engine mounts. But think about fabricating exhaust manifold, driveshafts, electrics, fuel, gearlinkage, cooling, clutch, air intake, and so on...

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 07:20:46 pm »

So 1.6 Mantra ...

Please, it is a Matra not a Mantra!

Anyone who knows are the enginemountings on chassis side different on 1.6 and 2.2 ? I would still prefer for a 2.2 chassis.

The two chassis are different and the 2.2 is not suitable for the XU or that family of engines.  You would have even more mods. to do, particularly to the chassis which then ruins the galvanising.  Since the 1.6 is close to the XU family the mods. required to fit are certainly easier and possible.

However, I'm with Krede on this one, forget 300bhp in a Murena.  It is far too much and will totally spoil the car even if you ever get it right.  Everything will need to be uprated to the point where it is no longer a Murena.  If you want that much power go buy something like a Noble or whatever.  Please don't spoil a great car.

If you want 200bhp then start with a 2.2 and turbo it, a la 505 turbo, which used the same block; but beware you will have clutch and cooling problems unless you really do the conversion well.  There were a number of turbo 2.2 done here originally, and I know of one.  He had nothing but trouble, burning out clutches and continually having cooling problems, so the car could never be used for long.  And I heard similar stories about the others.  All this and the car was not as nice as a good 'S' in my opinion.

The performance envelope of a good 2.2 can take say 185bhp which is easily possible, and it will still be sweet.  After that you are going to have to do major re-engineering.

Roy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: