| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Questions: Dash, Hands-Free, CD-Player  (Read 16078 times)
TheJoker

« on: October 07, 2006, 08:45:19 pm »

Gents,

Got a few more questions for you.

1) In the attached image, I've written "How do I remove these panels" - I'd like to remove them so I can make my own little "dash", but I don't know where to start. I'm sure I'll figure it out if I start "going at it", but anyone knows the correct way, please let me know. I don't feel like prying things off and then start to break them..  Roll Eyes

2) In the attached image, I've written "Nokia Cradle" - the car came with it. I don't have a Nokia phone, in fact I'm waiting for a SonyEricsson to surface. I'd like a normal cradle, as the phone is quite big and I like having it charging in the car. However a Bluetooth alternative could be quite cool. My question is, does anyone know if I can replace the cradle to fit the SonyEricsson, or do I have to remove the whole shabang. I think it's a genuine Nokia holder as the dark blob in the middle of the cradle has got a Nokia logo on it.

3) My CD player's CD caddy seems to be stuck. I press the eject button and it doesn't eject the caddy... anyone have this happened to them? If so, what did you do to get it out?

Any tips and tricks appreciated... Smiley  Cool

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 08:55:12 pm »

Attaching the picture would help :-) 

The Espace is unfortunately making use of many ways to conceal screws and the like, whereas on the good old Murena there was nothing wrong with having a visible screw or five. 
I spent a whole day getting the dash disassembled on my previous (J63) Espace, just to replace the lightbulbs behind the heater and aircon controls.

Isn't there a small hole next to the CD caddy ? - some times you can poke a little pin og needle in there, while turning the thing on, which ejects the caddy.  If that doesn't help, you can always take the whole unit out, and take it apart, get the CD out, give up on reassembly, and buy another radio  (I'm just joking, Joker :-)   )

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:18:32 pm »

I had a feeling it was too easy to make that post!!!  Shocked  Undecided

I'll have a look for that hole for the bent paperclip (shouldn't someone start selling pre-straightened paperclips?!)

Second try, now with added imagery!

Wink

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 09:34:52 pm »

that's better. :-)
I haven't had any experince taking the dash apart, so I'll leave that to the other members.

btw - isn't your car a "The Race" with the CD unit in the boot ?

/Lennart

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:39:50 pm »

that's better. :-)
I haven't had any experince taking the dash apart, so I'll leave that to the other members.
btw - isn't your car a "The Race" with the CD unit in the boot ?

My car is an Expression, and but yes, the CD unit is on the left hand side in the boot.  Smiley

I'll wait for someone to come along with some tips.

Thanks Lennart!

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 09:50:11 pm »

There is a chance that we have the same CD unit (Pioneer) - so I'll have alook at mine and the manual.

TheJoker

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:50:19 pm »

There is a chance that we have the same CD unit (Pioneer) - so I'll have alook at mine and the manual.

It is indeed a Pionner, albeit Renault Co-Branded - I've read the manual (shock horror) and I couldn't find anything in there....  Huh

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:17:23 pm »

How about disconnecting the unit completely, and then reconnect.  At least my Sony MD/radio in my Murena will spit out its MD if I cut and reconnect the power to it.
/Lennart

Sparky

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:19:51 pm »

I noticed this last night whilst trawling throgh E.bay. Maybe of use!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Espace-JE0X-6-disc-CD-CHANGER_W0QQitemZ120039738545QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck Sparky

Drives:
Renault Grand Espace III 2.2Dci The Race
Renault SL29 Trafic 1.9Dci, Citroen XM 2.1TD Break
BMW's K1200LT, R1100GS & R65
TheJoker

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 07:28:38 pm »

Thanks Sparky, I'll have a think about that one.

Lennart, that migth be one way - I couldn't see any paperclip holes.. Sad

Anyone know the answers to how to remove the panels units I asked about?

Washed her quite properly today and put on a coat of wax for the winter too... Smiley

Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 11:42:35 am »

Unless I'm missing something I couldn't find a picture attachment of the panel(s) that you are trying to remove...... but I'd have a guess at it being the one to the right of the steering column (on your R/H drive car) that has the switch for the rear screen heater and a bunch of blanks dependent upon what optional extras you have.

If it is that panel you are meaning then it's a push fit and retained by 4 of the usual barbed pieces of plastic that are part of the moulding and are great for fitting once but get brittle and snap off if you try to remove and re-fit the panel. As it happens the retaining clips on that particular panel are quite robust so you shouldn't have a problem with them snapping off if you are careful. To remove it use a flat blade screwdriver but preferably a thin flat piece of steel such as a 6 inch steel ruler and insert it behind the upper left hand edge of the panel, then you can use the material covered part of the dashboard as a fulcrum, push the top of the screwdriver or steel bar towards the windscreen and that will lever out the first of the barbed retainers.... the rest are then easy to pop out.
The retainer on the upper left is the easiest one to release first. Don't lever out the panel from the bottom as the only fulcrum point is the lower plastic dash panel which is more easily damaged.... and don't do what most people tend to do (including main dealer service technicians) which is to insert a screwdriver and then twist it.... that's one sure way to damage both the panel itself as well as the surrounding plastic.

Regarding the Nokia cradle.... again I couldn't find an image attached to your post.... but if it is the same as the Nokia cradle that I have fitted then it is wired directly into the Nokia "box of tricks" (wherever that may have been fitted into you car). That same box has wired into it the hands-free microphone and speaker, as well as the antenna connection..... so even if you could get a cradle for the Sony Ericsson it is doubtful, without dismantling the Nokia control box or the cradle to get at the wiring, that you could re-wire an alternative cradle to it....... and that's even if all the electrical inputs and outputs are compatible (mainly for the phone battery charging circuit) and you can figure out the connections without a wiring diagram..... or have an electronics expert as a friend.

As an alternative you could always write a nice letter to Santa Claus, tell him that you've been really good and ask for one of those SatNav systems with built in Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity. With those you wire up once and have SatNav as well as mobile phone hands free with one system. The added benefits are that if you change your phone you don't have to change the hands-free kit.... and with most of them you can programme additional phones into the system so that if other people drive the car then their phone (providing it has Bluetooth which is enabled) can also be used hands-free. Once programmed you can just leave your phone in your pocket and the system picks it up and connects as soon as you get in the car. The downside is that unlike a dedicated hands-free kit the phone doesn't get charged from a cradle and also because the phone can't go into stand-by mode due to constantly having to maintain Bluetooth connectivity the phone battery is drained more quickly.... so I would suggest you utilise a phone charger powered from the cigarette lighter if you do get one of these systems. The combined systems aren't cheap but much cheaper than having a separate SatNav and Bluetooth hands-free such as one of the Parrott systems.... and there is only one installation with one of set of wiring.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
TheJoker

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 04:19:49 pm »

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply. You actually are missing something. Why I don't know. I attached the picture to the 2nd reply (3rd post) in this thread. I did forget to attach it in my first post. I wonder why you can't see that image. Sad

The panels I want to remove are the one in front of the steeringwheel, and to the right of that panel. They're just below air-vent. I do think your advice regarding the other panel will come in handy too Smiley

Regarding the Nokia holder, I reckon you're onto something with the GPS and the hassle about changing the cradle. Unfortunately I wouldn't mind a "wired" cradle, as it'll charge too - and it's not suspectible to theft... where as a GPS I have to plug-unplug all the time... Choices choices!!

Thanks for your advice Martin. Much appreciated!

Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 05:53:18 pm »

Oooops.... I've found the image now that you've explained.... I just didn't look close enough as I worked my way through the thread.

Sorry... can't offer advice regarding those 2 panels as I've never removed them.

The phone kit you have fitted is a genuine Nokia kit model CARK-91. You can get conversion kits and adapters for them but as far as I am aware it's only to suit the more recent and smaller Nokia phones.... the conversion kits replace the cradle with a new smaller one and the adapter option is like a cradle within a cradle.... you put the adapter into the existing cradle and then the newer smaller phone sits inside the adapter.... but as far as I am aware they don't offer convertors or adaptors to suit other makes of phone such as the Sony Ericsson.

I'm in the same dilemma.... just about to replace my mobile house brick and will need to remove my CARK 91 kit unless I have one of the newer Nokia's that will fit with an adapter or convertor.... and going the Bluetooth route kind of defeats the object when you then have to get a separate charger and have the phone sliding about in the centre console.... then you'd have to remember the phone and take it with you as well as your GPS.

Maybe we should instead campaign to legalise sill mounted flame throwers as an anti-theft deterent so that things could be safely left in a car.... and replace the usual little sticker in the side window that says "This car is protected by systems that meet Thatcham Category 1" with one that says "Try to break in to my car and your ankles are toast"..... they'd be in for a bit of a Shocked .... but would soon stop wondering why a diesel car also had a LPG connection  Wink

Martin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:20:11 pm by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
TheJoker

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 11:30:25 am »

Martin,

Thanks for that! Smiley Especially for identifying my phone kit. I had a look on the net and yes, you can change the cradle for to fit newer Nokias, but there's no kit for other phone makes.

The SE-kit that I'd like would cost me about £100 - that's without installation. A bit too steep IMO, especially as I can get a pretty trick BT headsest for that price, and I can use the BT headset with my computer, to make Skype calls for example....

Oh, and I'm all for the flame throwers...  Cool  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: