| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace J63 -93 2.2L overheat?  (Read 7405 times)
Jurzi

I'm a llama!

« on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

As I finally have now repaired the leaking of the cooling fluid (gradually broken rubber tube). There is the problem that liquid temps rise very near the red sector - its about at the middle of the previous sector. Sometimes it is almost touching the red one but then the cooling blowers start to operate and the temps stay always below the red sector. Should I be worried?

I have another thermostat which apparently worked on the lower temps, but unluckily I installed the wrong one as I replaced the rubber tube.

I did measure the coolant temp sensor resistances, as follows:
the lower BLACK sensor (2-poles): 20C/293ohms, 90C/417ohms and  9?C/424ohms, corresponding reference values are 20C/283-297ohms, 80C/383-397ohms and 90C/403-417ohms

the upper BROWN sensor (1-pole): 20c/3520ohms and 90C/150-157ohms (no reference values found?)

The values seem to be OK? However, I found from the shops "the correct" upper sensor to be WHITE and its resistance values are ten times higher than in my BLACK one? Should I try this white one? Engine is J7T 772.
mhi

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:20 am »

As I finally have now repaired the leaking of the cooling fluid (gradually broken rubber tube). There is the problem that liquid temps rise very near the red sector - its about at the middle of the previous sector. Sometimes it is almost touching the red one but then the cooling blowers start to operate and the temps stay always below the red sector. Should I be worried?

That sounds a bit further up the dial than mine. It could be the thermostat or the temperature sensor not very accurate.

Thermostat should operate at 89 C. Only the thermostat and the fan switch have any direct effect on the coolant temperature. I think I would fit a good (or a new) thermostat first.

I have another thermostat which apparently worked on the lower temps, but unluckily I installed the wrong one as I replaced the rubber tube.

I did measure the coolant temp sensor resistances, as follows:
the lower BLACK sensor (2-poles): 20C/293ohms, 90C/417ohms and  9?C/424ohms, corresponding reference values are 20C/283-297ohms, 80C/383-397ohms and 90C/403-417ohms

the upper BROWN sensor (1-pole): 20c/3520ohms and 90C/150-157ohms (no reference values found?)

The values seem to be OK? However, I found from the shops "the correct" upper sensor to be WHITE and its resistance values are ten times higher than in my BLACK one? Should I try this white one? Engine is J7T 772.
Mine's a J7R engine (2.0L petrol) so may or may not be a close match.

The upper brown temperature sensor is connected only to the instrument panel temperature gauge. I have an old sensor (replaced looking for a fault which turned out to be a damaged wire, not the sensor): at 20 C its resistance is 2470 ohms. The engine will run exactly the same even if this sensor is not connected, or is short-circuit. If it's the wrong resistance, the gauge might show a value too high or too low.

The 2-pin lower sensor (mine is white) is connected only to the engine management computer. My specimen here is 2900 ohms at 20 C -- about the same as yours. If this is wrong the engine will run inefficiently, but it shouldn't cause overheating.

Fan switch is 3-pin for vehicle with air conditioning, 2-pin without air conditioning. With air conditioning, fans should start at slower speed from 92 C, then full power from 96 C. Without air-con, both fans run at full power from 92 C.

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
pduke

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

Hi, i hope your problem has been solved, but i had an overheating problem few months ago -flirting with the reds..- so i may help.

first of all i checked the switch and found out that this is the correct one http://www.mister-auto.com/interrupteur-de-temperature-ventilateur-radiateur/renault-espace-ii-j-s63-2-2-108ch_v2125_g1103.html.
These are exactly as mhi wrote it above, 3 switch and 2 switch.

now in my case the switch wasn't the problem although i changed it. It was a bad vaporization (taking all the air out from the fridge). when i took the car to my good old Renault engineer he did it the correct way and the highest temperature dropped one slash beneath the "reds" instantly!!

so you might want to give it a try
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: