| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2000 espace 2.2td non start  (Read 17597 times)
homersnitemare
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:00:30 am »

Hi ive bought a 200 "y"reg espace 2.2 td whic was bought as a non runner as i was told it was working fine then stopped and then started again,i have yet to get it started! The imobilizer light does not come on or of but there is a led on left hand side of glove box"aftermarket?Huh"anyway when i have the ignition on there are 2 what apear to be stop soliniods  on the bottom of the diesel pump Which have live feeds going to them, if you lock the car by remote the alarm beebs for around 45 seconds then the alarm will go off !I bought the car thinking it was a imobilizer fault but how do i have feeds going to the fuel pump?Huh
please help i told the wife i would be an easyy fix!!!
Regards
Nathan
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:16:43 pm »

The imobilizer light does not come on or of but there is a led on left hand side of glove box"aftermarket?Huh"

It's not factory fitted but not strictly aftermarket either..... that LED is part of an additional security device added to the car at the UK vehicle preparation centre by "Renault" before the vehicles go to the dealers. They fit volumetric sensors which are located on a small metal plate retained by the luggage compartment light in the roof. They are activated with the rest of the security system and will trigger the alarm if the volume of air inside the car changes suddenly such as if someone tries to break in by smashing a window. If you don't want to activate the volumetric sensors when, for example, leaving a dog inside the car you can isolate that part of the system whilst leaving the rest of the system active by turning on and off the ignition 3 times within 7 seconds before getting out of the car and using the key fob to central lock.

Regarding the starting problem.... Have you checked for water/condensation in the diesel filter?..... there is a drain tap at the bottom of the filter.

Have you checked whether the low pressure electric fuel pump (located under the car in front of the fuel tank) is actually delivering fuel? To check if it's working you can disconnect the fuel line on the top left hand side of the filter which is colour coded white. This is the supply line from the filter to the engine driven high pressure pump. The electric pump operates for 30 seconds and turns off unless the engine is started but as it delivers 130 litres an hour at between 2.5 and 3 bar I'd get someone to help you so they can turn off the ignition as soon as you get flow.... otherwise you will have an awful lot of diesel everywhere.

Have you gone through the fuel system re-priming process? First, close the fuel cock on the fuel line that returns to tank.... it's the one closest to the front of the car of the 3 pipes connected to the right hand side of the fuel filter and should be coloured coded yellow. Then turn the ignition on and off several times so that the electric low pressure pump primes the system and try to start the engine. If it starts you then re-open the fuel cock.... it's open when the two yellow lines are aligned.

A real outsider in the running for a fuel related problem is this one.... but have you checked the fuel cut-off safety device? The re-set button is to the left of the upper engine mount and in front of the washer fluid reservoir..... it's only supposed to shut off the fuel in the event of severe impact but you never know.

You don't however mention, when you have tried starting the engine, whether the starter motor engages and the engine turns over. If the starter tries to engage but the engine doesn't turn over it may be worth checking the timing belt..... there is a small plastic cover below the left hand side upper engine mounting that when removed will allow you to see the belt.... if that is shredded then the reason it will not start is because some of your valves are buried in the top of a piston.
Sorry if that one panics you but not knowing the full background it seems strange that someone would sell a vehicle just because it wouldn't start..... unless of course they already know the reason  Huh

please help i told the wife i would be an easyy fix!!!

Hmmmmm.... now where have I heard that one before?
And they always manage to to remind you when you come back in 4 hours later..... or, if they can't wait that long, then when they bring you out a coffee and just when you are thinking "how considerate" they hit you with "I thought it wasn't going to take you very long"  and the smug grin gives away the fact that they just couldn't wait for you to come back in   Wink

Martin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:28:18 am by Martin Tyas » Logged

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
homersnitemare
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 04:01:59 pm »

H martin,

right i should of said yes it turns over and fuel is at the pum and in pipes if you crack of an injector nothing comes out!,i have a mt2500 and told me next to nothing,a freind of mine has the texa axone so we scanned today and found that the key is not recognised im hopeing this is it ,do you know if the key can be reprogrammed or they are supplied with said code attached.Thank you for your reply im sure ill be a new custiomer to the matra forum for years to come.
Regards
Nathan
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:58:54 pm »

If there is fuel all the way to the pump, but none on the other side, then it does sound like either immobilizer or fuel-cutoff. (though, I thought the cutoff was introduced sometime before the filter?)

2.2td makes it a JE - have a look in my Espace vault of usefull files:
    http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE

3028A.pdf 3057A.pdf - and the german "elektrik.pdf" talk about the immobilizer - I cannot tell if they cover your car precisely, but have a look.

/Lennart
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:03:37 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
homersnitemare
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:23:01 pm »

Hi i noticed in the hand book that it should have a inetia switch near the water bottle but i have a realy good look and nothing?unless somebody in the past has removed and bypassed it,plus looking through old reciepts i found that in july this yeah renault supplied and programmed the key?
R's
Nathan
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:05:05 am »

The security systems were supplied to Renault by Cobra Vehicle Security. The system fitted to my Espace (a 2002 with 2.2dCi engine) is a Cobra 144. There is every chance that the system on yours is the same because the booklet covering the system's features has a print date of 03/1999.

The manual details the following key programming procedure.... I quote it verbatum below.

FIRST SELF-LEARNING PROCEDURE FOR THE JACK KEYS (144)

• Turn the dashboard on and off by turning the ignition key 3 times within 7 seconds
  • Turn on the dashboard
  • Insert one of the keys 3 times. Each operation will be confirmed by a signal from the buzzer and a blink from the LED
  • The LED will remain permanently on and the plant will be ready to memorize the jack keys
  • Insert all the keys required for the self learning process including the one used to access the self learning procedure
  • Each of the self-learning operation will be confirmed by a blink from the LED.

NOTE
This operation can only be carried out if the plant is disactivated. If all the keys are lost, it will no longer be possible to access the memorizing procedure for the new jack keys.
4 jack keys can be programmed at most.

Hope that helps

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
TheJoker

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 12:04:18 pm »

Martin,

I tried this on my car too, but I'm a bit confused about what "Turn on the dashboard" means... especially as the next point is that you should insert the key three times.... In my mind you turn the dashboard on by inserting the key and turning it to the first click? So whilst the dashboard is on, how can one remove the key..? Smiley  Huh

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
homersnitemare
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:24:13 pm »

ok martin ill try it ,the cars booked in at renault tom if it dont work,£40 to reprogramme the key,
Regards nathan
P.sthis is me on daily basis
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:55:55 pm »

P.sthis is me on daily basis
homersnitemare I took the liberty of resizing your picture - the van is large enough even in this resolution :-)

But aren't you in the WRONG (well, RIGHT seen from Europeland) side of the road ?? - what were you thinking ?! :-)

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
homersnitemare
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:38:23 pm »

Grin lennart when in rome,It would be interesting to know how many other mobile mechs there are out ther?
homersnitemare
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 04:53:51 pm »

Hi all the car arrievd at renault kings lynn "wests" today and they say the key isn not the problemm but they did say the oil level sensor is registering no oil or very low atleast but didnt say if this is a contrbuiting factor to not starting anybody know?HuhHuhHuh?
Nathan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: