| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Renault espace 1998 dashboard  (Read 9589 times)
johnnymartin

« on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:06 pm »

Hi my dash has gone down  - well no speedo, fuel, water, glow plugs.  Occasionally it came to life and now there is just a glow...sent unit to BBA reman who said all ok, tried two second hand dashes and neither worked.  Have wiggled the leads which plug in at the back with no joy - anyone any inspiration?  Ths is a four pin dash from a 1998 - doesnt appear to have a BII unit in footwell but maybe i dont know what i am looking for!!!  thank you.  best johnny
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:07:24 am »

Hi my dash has gone down  - well no speedo, fuel, water, glow plugs.  Occasionally it came to life and now there is just a glow...sent unit to BBA reman who said all ok, tried two second hand dashes and neither worked.  Have wiggled the leads which plug in at the back with no joy - anyone any inspiration?  Ths is a four pin dash from a 1998 - doesnt appear to have a BII unit in footwell but maybe i dont know what i am looking for!!!  thank you.  best johnny

The BII is situated under the fusebox under the passenger floor.  It is a black box electronic unit.

By swapping the dashes the BII will now have stored the highest mileage figure.  If that was your original one then you will still have the same figure, but if either of the others had a higher figure the BII will have now stored that as your mileage, and if you then connect your original (with a lower figure) it will then take the new higher figure from the BII.

Roy

BrianM

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »

I had this on a diesel of mine, the early car didnt have the b11. My research found that the common fault was corrosion in the wiring loom. Lift the left hand front carpet & remove the metal plate that covers the loom. Cut the insularion to inspect the loom. Mine had a earth joint that was broken as the loom rose from the floor to the dash. Do you have other probs like the mirror motor does not work.
Brian.
johnnymartin

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:42:05 pm »

I had this on a diesel of mine, the early car didnt have the b11. My research found that the common fault was corrosion in the wiring loom. Lift the left hand front carpet & remove the metal plate that covers the loom. Cut the insularion to inspect the loom. Mine had a earth joint that was broken as the loom rose from the floor to the dash. Do you have other probs like the mirror motor does not work.
Brian.

Sorry for delay acknowldging this - thank you. Where abouts is the plate?  I have  a plastic plate on floor with fuses etc?  is ist above this?

also currently thinking it could be dashboard rheostat - mirrors ok but have lost radio.

best johnny
BrianM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:10:39 am »

Hi, you need to lift the left hand carpet the loom runs out the bottom of the fusebox & then left around the front of the footwell. Can you not see any displat at all? The rheostat will dim the bulbs but you will still be able to see some sign that the dash is working. I did have one that the printed circuit (foil) on the back of the dash was faulty but it only lost half of the back lights. Have you lost the warning lights, eg ign. indicator & lights.
johnnymartin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:00 pm »

Hi Brian sorry for delay - thank you.

I have lost water temp, fuel and speedo.  Indcators, main & dipped lights work.  But also we have lost radio.

will unpick carpet over weekend!
johnnymartin

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:02:48 am »

Update! Update!  Dashboard problem resolved.

After sterling work from Renatec in Bristol, the problem was found!

On the passnger side sill are 6 red wires and a white wire - the inside of the white wire was corroded.

But note my model is an usual early Mk 3

Hope that might help anyone else

and thank you for everyones input on this.

best johnny
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: