| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JE0G - MOT fail (Headlight aim too low)  (Read 7414 times)
WessexElectricNutter

« on: November 13, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »

I wonder if anyone can help me with this, I put my espace in for an MOT, its been sat on the drive for about 10 months or so, the trouble is, now its failed on a few reasons, one of which is the headlight aim which is too low. Does anyone know if water gets into the units or most likely a stuck actuator? The headlights move, they go up and down, but I get a headlight warning lamp on at the same time.

Thoughts?

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:30:17 pm »

early car has adjuster on the right switch pack, later car has xeon lights. These have a startup routine that level them when turned on. The ecu is in the left foot-well under the galvanised metal plate. Early lights have removable adjuster motors. The reflectors can pop out of the pivot & / or adjuster. However first check the sensor on the rear axle to see if the rod has come adrift. also a sensor on the left side of the antiroll bar. Hope this gets you started.
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »

early car has adjuster on the right switch pack, later car has xeon lights. These have a startup routine that level them when turned on. The ecu is in the left foot-well under the galvanised metal plate. Early lights have removable adjuster motors. The reflectors can pop out of the pivot & / or adjuster. However first check the sensor on the rear axle to see if the rod has come adrift. also a sensor on the left side of the antiroll bar. Hope this gets you started.

Thanks Brian, I thought it might be something a little less costly. I guess since it works, it means the unit to control the headlights is also working, but not receiving the correct input (e.g. something as you say, fell off or seized or the motors.) I'll give the garage its with a bit of an indication. On the subjects of MOTs, Anything that would cause an emissions fail on the V6s? HC and CO is over the limits but Lamba is below 1.027 IIRC, something within range anyway. Am I right in saying that this is down to a dodgy spark plug? Considering I'm asking them to remove part of the LPG conversion as well (the rest I'll do myself), looking at what it can do, I'm also just curious to see if a valve got burnt?

BrianM

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:04:39 am »

The v6 is not good on emissions! You are indicating a rich condition. These engines need to be red hot when tested. Faulty thermostat, or temp sender or old lambda sensor could be a cause. & of course old spark plugs. Yours should have silver plugs in it for the lpg. If it did not run happy on lpg then don't be surprised that it will show to a lesser degree on petrol.
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:30:10 pm »

The v6 is not good on emissions! You are indicating a rich condition. These engines need to be red hot when tested. Faulty thermostat, or temp sender or old lambda sensor could be a cause. & of course old spark plugs. Yours should have silver plugs in it for the lpg. If it did not run happy on lpg then don't be surprised that it will show to a lesser degree on petrol.

I know the V6 is absolutely appalling anyway, but from what the garage are saying, its an incomplete burn, so I am hoping its not down to the valves. (Duchies! That will be expensive.)

Another problem however has cropped up, the gear cable keeps falling off! So its stuck in first gear hold as the rubber has gone soft, the cheapest I can find a new cable is £131 (ouch), anyone know where I can find anything cheaper? Renparts don't have a V6 in stock or any automatic espace for that matter. Renault are a bit expensive, so anywhere else? I guess the breakers is next. Sad

Part number: 60 25 316 578.

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »

I know the V6 is absolutely appalling anyway, but from what the garage are saying, its an incomplete burn, so I am hoping its not down to the valves. (Duchies! That will be expensive.)

Another problem however has cropped up, the gear cable keeps falling off! So its stuck in first gear hold as the rubber has gone soft, the cheapest I can find a new cable is £131 (ouch), anyone know where I can find anything cheaper? Renparts don't have a V6 in stock or any automatic espace for that matter. Renault are a bit expensive, so anywhere else? I guess the breakers is next. Sad

Part number: 60 25 316 578.

Nevermind, found one on ebay after some searching. Now back to trying to do a lot before Christmas, the person I'm dating, she's demanded I bring the Silver Espace to Wales, when I eventually get it fixed.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: