| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Removing the ignition lock cylinder  (Read 4730 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: May 30, 2015, 01:03:24 pm »

The ingnition lock decided to fail today Sad

The spring inside it that returns the key to ACC after cranking the engine seems to have broken. Unfortunately, the pieces were stuck inside the cylinder, jamming the operation. After exercising the key a few times it seems to have cleared and i can operate the lock again, but I obviously need a new ignition lock.

My question is: How do I remove the Lock cylinder? As shown in the photo below, there are two small tabs sticking out. Turning the key, they can be pushed in, but the lock cylinder is still stuck in its housing.

I can't find any instructions in the documents in the vault.

Thanks a lot Smiley

/Anders
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:09:50 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »

Hej
DEr står noget her (men ikke særlig klart)
http://www.espace-freunde.net/forum/index.php/m/291296/
Hans
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »

Here's a better reply, Hans:

http://www.espace-freunde.net/forum/index.php/m/320557/

It's not that uncommon!

"Hatte das gleiche Problem. Bin damit ca 1 jahr rumgefahren :-("
Not everyone has good experience, though.
Hmm...

Still, how do I get the darn thing out? Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:56:17 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:25:13 am »

Still, how do I get the darn thing out? Wink

Anders, there are two fastenings: one is a small screw or bolt which is easy to remove but the other is a special release 'pin' that has to be depressed to get the lock out of the column tube, and you can only press it in when the key is in a special position.

If you check the face of the lock where the key is put in, there are some small arrows on it.  There is the first labelled 'St' which is the position where you put the key in and take it out.  Then the first detent position labelled 'A' which is the auxiliary electrics position.  The next detent position is labelled 'M' which is the ignition position.  However, there is another arrow between the 'A' and 'M' positions with no label.  This is the special position for removing the lock from the steel tube.

Once the key is in this position AND nowhere else, you can depress the pin that locks the barrel to the tube.

The pin you have to depress is on the side and difficult to describe so I'll try to upload a photo, but I don't think I've ever uploaded a photo here so I'm not sure how and I'll have to try it after I've taken the photo!  (I'll send one to your email anyway so if I don't succeed I'm sure you can add it).

Obviously the wiring is attached to the other end of the ignition switch/lock, so you need to disconnect the wiring and if necessary take the electrical pins out of the plug, so you can thread the wiring up through as the lock is pulled out.

Roy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:48:22 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: