| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace mk4 wiring  (Read 4904 times)
johnnymartin

« on: September 27, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »

Hi when we bought our grand espace mk4 the rear windows didnt work.   The rear doors locked on the remote but now they wont unlock and now the fuel flap wont unlock...the boot though still  locks and unlocks!

fortunately found the manual overide on the fuel flap

Anyone got any suggestions - fuses are ok

thank you - johnny

its a 2003.
mhi

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »

My Espace II once had a non-working electric window which I traced eventually to a broken wire in the bit of the wiring loom which flexes round the door hinge. Three of the door locks have worn out their little motor (actuator) units over the years, too. Any problems in the door electrics now, the first thing I do is to take off the door card and connect a meter to the lock or window connector -- that will tell you whether it's the electrical system or the specific motor which is faulty. My experience is that it can be the wiring but a failed motor or dirt in the lock or window mechanism are more likely.

I can't be specific about a mk4's wiring, since I don't have one of those.

[The latest problem turned out to be a faulty new actuator recently fitted to the tailgate -- I broke it open to find a missing thrust bearing inside. Serve me right for paying a tenner for a non-genuine part.]

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »

Hi when we bought our grand espace mk4 the rear windows didnt work.   The rear doors locked on the remote but now they wont unlock and now the fuel flap wont unlock...the boot though still  locks and unlocks!

fortunately found the manual overide on the fuel flap

Anyone got any suggestions - fuses are ok

thank you - johnny

its a 2003.

If this is the Renault built metal Series 4 Espace the wiring and electrics system is more complex than earlier cars and you first need the wiring diagrams - any attempt to try to solve electrical issues without the full knowledge and wiring diagrams is fraught with time wasting guesses and possibly a waste of money too.  You should obviously check the switches; and the connectors and wiring from body to doors as the flexing at those points means they are a common failure point.  If it has the large plastic multi-pin connectors they are prone to water getting in and corrosion.

But since many of the electrical features like central locking are controlled by the UCH computer this or the wiring and connectors can be another source of problems.  This is why you need the wiring diagrams (which also contain the pin outs of all connectors) to diagnose these properly.

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: