| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace 2001 Alternator question  (Read 11384 times)
WessexElectricNutter

« on: December 19, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

What voltage should the alternator be pumping out when idle? My Espace has come up recently with the battery light and "service" afterwards when driving around Chichester recently, twice, but went after a longer journey.
I've had a quick look at the alternator, the car started (! - rarity these days, starting on the button) and at idle with radio and engine, I get 15V, with headlights, air conditioning, idling, radio, fan on full blast, I get 14.77V, but was jumping between 14.77 and 14.82V. Is this too high?

Also, I notice that at night, when I have the headlights on, they "flicker" along with a tick when the engine is ticking over, I've been told this is due to the gears "meshing", which makes me wonder if that is down to the diesel pump, water pump or alternator? I only get this ticking when the car is warm, never when its cold.

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:24:09 pm »

should be in the region of 14.6 volt. sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator is on the way out
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:00 am »

should be in the region of 14.6 volt. sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator is on the way out

Sounds like it to me, I did forget to quote that the car hadn't been moved for a week, but when I checked the voltages after a run and running the engine for 30 minutes, then I found the voltage was still hovering around 15V. So I think its new alternator time. How hard is it to change an alternator on one of these anyway? I.e. How long will it take? This is my G9T espace.

BrianM

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:26:47 pm »

Did you get it done, prob. take an hour of your time.
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:48 pm »

Not yet, I've only ordered the alternator (set me back 60.42 pounds as a clearance item) on New Years Day. An expense I could do without however. :-( I did test the alternator later and it was spiking at around 15.3v, but mostly hovering over 14.9V. I did wonder if a lot of my problems in starting may actually be down to the alternator, although I do admit that the plugs do need changing. Along with a few other bits, (water pump, high pressure reg, etc) as the car has been riddled with bodge jobs. I looked at the task involved and I decided that I don't have the equipment as I only have a drive, 2 ramps, some axle stands and the job required is to remove the air con compressor!

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:38:39 am »

Just to update you, took it to a garage and they told me that the alternator is fine! Ok then, why was I getting 15V on my multimeter? On the other hand, I think I need to get it  checked.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:17 pm »

Just to update you, took it to a garage and they told me that the alternator is fine! Ok then, why was I getting 15V on my multimeter? On the other hand, I think I need to get it checked.

No alternator should be turning out that much voltage, so providing your multimeter is reading accurately you have a problem.  The output should be 13.4 volts to 14.4 volts no more or less.  [if you have a modern Ford with a calcium silver battery the output should be 14.8 volts but they are an exception - this is also why you can't fit a normal battery to these Fords]

So your over voltage will damage the battery eventually if it hasn't already.  The flickering head lights do suggest the voltage regulator is faulty but before you change the alternator, please have the battery checked fully first - all tests including heavy drop test, because a faulty battery can cause an alternator to go out of limits.

Garages usually have a special meter for checking batteries these days.  Make sure your battery is fully charged first.  You can't get accurate results if the battery is only part charged.  They simply connect the meter, press a button to 'Go' and it runs through all the tests and gives the results.  If the battery is O.K. then I think you are looking at replacing the alternator no matter what the garage has said, but if they think it is fine, did you get a read out and proof they have said it is fine?  If you then find it is faulty you could have some come back on them and if you point that out, it may make them a bit more careful. Smiley

Roy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:55:04 pm by roy4matra » Logged

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »

No alternator should be turning out that much voltage, so providing your multimeter is reading accurately you have a problem.  The output should be 13.4 volts to 14.4 volts no more or less.  [if you have a modern Ford with a calcium silver battery the output should be 14.8 volts but they are an exception - this is also why you can't fit a normal battery to these Fords

I think I'm slowly(!) getting to the bottom of the problem. The battery is totally flat after 3 weeks. I was suspecting charging problems, but the car after a period of use (I only use it weekly as my main car is my 1997 Clio - since I work for the railways and the Espace got 'vandalised' recently - i.e. whacked into in a really weird location, I'm not going to take it to the station again. I'll talk to the British Transport Police about that.) seems to be fine. The petrol Espace has no trouble starting after 3 weeks, so its now down to a power draw somewhere. I borrowed my girlfriends uncle's multimeter when I got here after discovering he had one and it seems to be floating at about 13.18v. When started, up to 14.5V. So I'm wondering if something is drawing power. Ironically, when I put the car in for an MOT, I drove it there without any issues, the next day, they got it started in the morning but flatly refused to start later in the day and they called me for some help. I told them to charge it and start it when its above 13.8v.

Today, I removed the alarm sensors after reading they can be a problem and look for a replacement (suprise suprise, I can't). So, I'm starting to wonder if the alarm on a separate feed is actually draining the battery knowing that the alarm has been an issue before - so much so, it started making weird noises. I remember when it started doing that, it was drawing over 1A on a fuse which I disconnected. The notes are around on this site somewhere. Since then, the only things I've added is the bluetooth car kit and the sat nav system, but this all started before I fitted these and I even got a new battery in June/July 2015 to get over the problem.

Is there any devices that are known to be parasitic draws? I might also remove and replace the alarm system, but I don't know where everything is placed, besides, I'm interested in restoring both to near original condition, the diesel one with a few more options.

BrianM

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »

Either a diode is faulty in the alternator, did you replace it with the newone you bought? or the body controller is damp & not turning off.
WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:50 pm »

Time to update this, since removing the sensors, the car has worked perfectly fine, sat in the road for 3 weeks and started first time! So I think I've nailed it to the alarm (again) which I thought I disconnected by removing the fuse that controls it. Is there another one I don't know of?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: