| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windshield Drains?  (Read 12342 times)
LarsB

« on: November 21, 2006, 09:43:30 pm »

I have just instaled my new front windshield, and as I glued it in I realised that there were no drains for the water Huh

Does anyone have any ideas ? Where should the water go?

mvh
Lars Olav

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:57:36 pm »

You mean below the windshield?

water runs to the sides, and then forward/down  on the inside of the wings.
Actually very near the side indicators. "Great design" to have the water run there ... however, those lights are among the few I have NEVER had any trouble with :-)

I think most cars also had a little rubber flap, covering the top front corner of the doors, to protect them fom the drained water in that area.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
LarsB

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:01:47 pm »

Not exactly what I ment, I was thinking of the countersunk part wich the windshield lies in. (Where the rubber trim is fitted)

Lars Bjørdal

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 05:21:35 pm »

ah, - you mean along the A-piller but under the rubber trim?
I think that is supposed to be sealed by the (haha self adhersive!) rubber trim. If you have enough of it, I'll recommend avoiding joining it in the middle, as it will shrink with time and temperature, and let water in.

When I had my windscreen replaced, it turned out that water had dissolved most of the glue, so we probably could have simply pushed the whole thing out without glue-cutting.

Cars with a leaky sunroof (as mine had years ago) will have water seeping along the underside of the roof towards the front corners, where it will follow the A-pillar, and most likely find its way into the cabin or at least the glovecompartment. Thats also a drain, - of sorts :-)

I have since replaced the roof with one without the sunroof, which gives me a watertight car, with more headroom :-)

PS: The guy replacing my windscreen also (on his own motivation) searched out another rubbertrim for the top-section, which covers the leading edge of the roof in a very convincing way. I think he said that trim was an Audi thing. Looks very nice.

/Lennart

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 08:30:26 pm »

Lennart,

Can you make photo ?

BR Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
LarsB

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 01:51:24 pm »

Thank you, I will have to find a better solution than the rubber trim, I think its only purpose is to collect dirt and water Undecided

I will upload a photo when I get home from school.

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:51 pm »

Can you make photo ?
Certainly - and in fact I tried at the time of posting - but the builtin flash in my D100 was not up to making a very useable result - and whats worse, I forgot to take the picture today!, where the light  was excellent Sad   Will try again tomorrow.

/Lennart

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 08:13:46 pm »

Can you make photo ?

Sorry for the wait, - I kept forgetting to take my camera with me to work - as it had to be "daylight" for the picture, and daylight is pretty limited this time of year.

However, borrowed a friends camera today, and here you go. The minimal light unfortunately caused the picture to be taken wide-open, so depth of focus is limited, so is sharpness, but it is still easy to see how the new un-original (Audi?) top rubber trim covers the leading edge of the roof panel completely, which IMO looks quite nice.
The remaining rubbertrim is original but "new", and it fits as poorly as ever, and the adhersive tape has seen better days.  Definitely room for improvements here too, would be great if all the rubbertrim was as nice as the top one.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:17:47 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

lewisman

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 12:23:54 am »

Hi Lennart.

Do you have any off-cuts of the rubber trim?
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 02:59:45 pm »

Hi Lennart

Thanks for the photo!
It doesn't look that bad  - I agree.

BR
Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 08:12:58 pm »

Do you have any off-cuts of the rubber trim?
No unfortunately - it was all fitted when I picked up the car. The guy proudly showed me his "invention" - and I was all for it Smiley

He did mention it was for "an Audi" but I was so impressed that I forgot to ask which one.

/Lennart
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:08:53 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: