| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Luggage cover to give away  (Read 18006 times)
mhi

« on: November 09, 2016, 12:11:26 pm »

I was given what I am assured is a cover to fit over the space where the back seats go for an Espace. (See photographs attached: whole top view, and detail of fitting on bottom.) It definitely does not fit my J63 of 1994 - not quite the right size or shape. I do not know which model of Espace it does fit. Quite heavy, black underneath, grey on top, width 1.35 m, depth 0.89 m (or 0.86 if the end section should be folded against the middle-row seat backs).

Do you know what model this fits?

Would anybody like it? It's yours for the cost of delivery, or free to collect. If you think it is worth something, make a donation to a charity of your choice.

1994 Espace RXE 2.0 (J636)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:16 pm »

I was given what I am assured is a cover to fit over the space where the back seats go for an Espace. (See photographs attached: whole top view, and detail of fitting on bottom.) It definitely does not fit my J63 of 1994 - not quite the right size or shape. I do not know which model of Espace it does fit. Quite heavy, black underneath, grey on top, width 1.35 m, depth 0.89 m (or 0.86 if the end section should be folded against the middle-row seat backs).

Do you know what model this fits?

It is definitely not a cover for the Espace I (J11 type) as I have both the roller blind soft type and the rigid hard cover for my Series I.  If it does not fit the Espace II (J63) and the Espace III (JE) which has a different type altogether, are you sure it fits the Espace at all?

Roy

mhi

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:27 pm »

It is definitely not a cover for the Espace I (J11 type) as I have both the roller blind soft type and the rigid hard cover for my Series I.  If it does not fit the Espace II (J63) and the Espace III (JE) which has a different type altogether, are you sure it fits the Espace at all?

The people who gave it to me assure me it fitted their Espace, scrapped after (I think) crash damage some years ago. It's very close to the right overall size and outline for my J63, but the shape is not quite right: the rear door has a different profile, for example.

It may be for a post-Matra Espace, I suppose (sorry to swear). Should I expect the local Renault garage to have anyone who might identify it? I've usually found them to be polite but useless, but then my J636 is out of guarantee so they can't be expected to know anything about it. They can only be better on the steel models which followed. Any other suggestions to identify this?

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »

The people who gave it to me assure me it fitted their Espace, scrapped after (I think) crash damage some years ago. It's very close to the right overall size and outline for my J63, but the shape is not quite right: the rear door has a different profile, for example.

It is possible that since yours is 1994 J63 model, maybe an earlier 1992 or later 1996 version had different trim, and it was meant for one of those.

Another thought is that it's for a very early 1984/85 J11 Espace I.  Mine is the more common Espace I Phase II, and that has a different tailgate which is deeper allowing more luggage space without altering the basic car.  So maybe it was a cover for the very early model with the thin tailgate?

It may be for a post-Matra Espace, I suppose (sorry to swear). Should I expect the local Renault garage to have anyone who might identify it? I've usually found them to be polite but useless, but then my J636 is out of guarantee so they can't be expected to know anything about it. They can only be better on the steel models which followed. Any other suggestions to identify this?

I'm pretty sure it is not for the all Renault Mk IV or V as these were totally different shape and had a roller blind fitting not a hard cover.  My guess would be the very early original model.  These are getting rare now but someone with one would probably be interested.  I know of a couple of these in the U.K.

One final thing, did you get the fittings too?  These hard covers had some small attachments fitted to the interior trim on the sides for the cover to clip in to.  Your underside photo shows one of those fittings.  Without the fittings, it may be the cover won't stay in place.

Roy

mhi

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:20 pm »

The tailgate to match my cover must have been much more nearly flat than my car's, certainly, so it might be for a very-early J11 Espace I -- from your description. The edge of the cover is pretty much straight, with only a small indent for the wiper motor or lock or whatever it fits round in the middle. How do I get to show it to any early-model Espace owners?

No separate fittings, just the same each side as shown in the picture of a bit of the underneath. Any original tracks, rails or clips must have been scrapped with the vehicle.

I will ask about both questions next time I get a chance: the cover came from a relative's next-door neighbours, and I don't meet them very often!

- Mark

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:17:23 pm »

The tailgate to match my cover must have been much more nearly flat than my car's, certainly, so it might be for a very-early J11 Espace I -- from your description. The edge of the cover is pretty much straight, with only a small indent for the wiper motor or lock or whatever it fits round in the middle. How do I get to show it to any early-model Espace owners?

No separate fittings, just the same each side as shown in the picture of a bit of the underneath. Any original tracks, rails or clips must have been scrapped with the vehicle.

I will ask about both questions next time I get a chance: the cover came from a relative's next-door neighbours, and I don't meet them very often!

Hello Mark,

I have contacted an Espace I Phase I owner and he confirms it is the wrong shape for his car too, so I'm now fairly sure what I originally said is the case, that this is not for the Espace at all, if it doesn't fit any Espace II.

I think you would be best to contact the Renault owners club as someone might recognise which model it does fit, if it is for a Renault.

Roy

WessexElectricNutter

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 07:02:44 am »

...  the Espace III (JE) which has a different type altogether, are you sure it fits the Espace at all?

I was going to say, it looks like a JE cover that I've seen listed on eBay, I know some JE covers are the rigid type and some are the flexible roller blind type. I'll have to measure my roller blind type and look at the position of the pins. I know I've seen the rigid type listed in the parts list.

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (Automatic) (1996)
Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 (manual) was 1.2 (1997) - under repair
Renault Espace III 2.2 DCi Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Renault Espace III 3.0 V6 Privilege (2001) - NIRU
Vauxhall Omega 2.5L V6 Elite (1998) - under repair
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: