| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Murena brake upgrade article  (Read 8934 times)
GP

« on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:19 pm »

Hi all,

A recently published M.E.C.U.K. magazine article below (next to the paper clip attachment) regarding my 2.2 Murena brake upgrades for your interest.........
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:41:20 pm by GP » Logged
Murenanimal

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:08:15 pm »

I am curious, do you have an idea of the total costs for this fine-tuned brake upgrade?
Kind regards
Guido from Belgium
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:30:01 pm »

Hi all,

A recently published article with hyperlinks in the M.E.C.U.K. Magazine on my 2.2 Murena brake upgrades for your interest.........
Could you post a link to the article, please.  Grin

Matranaut par excellence Cool
suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:45:36 am »

If you want to access the MECUK magazine you will need to be a member and have a password for the members only section of the website.
northmurena

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:51:17 am »

Hi GP,

could you post some facts about your brake-upgrade here ?

I have just made a brake-conversion on my Murena V6 with 280mm ventilated discs in the front and 256 ventilated discs in the rear. Brake-calipers are from Golf 4 V6 Syncro and Audi S3.

But would like to see what other did to get a better brake-performance.

Greetings from Denmark

Kai
GP

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 12:28:43 pm »

Hi y'all,

Err think my first post was a bit misleading, so I have adjusted the wording. My first post has an attachment to it at the bottom just after the paper clip image. Click on this link for generic details about my brake upgrade. It is a better layout than the M.E.C.U.K. club magazine anyway, which has had to be shrunk due to the size of the Magazine.

Regarding the cost to buy all the parts new from Rally Design at todays cost would probably be around £300:00 - £350:00. Obviously machining and fitting etc. would be the prohibitive cost if you had to pay someone. My labour/hobby is obviously free.

N.B. There is a company in Dartford, KENT, UK called Hi-Spec Motorsport who carried out the machining of external disc bell adaptors and brackets etc. to suit there own in-house calipers for a club member Darren Bourchier who fitted himself using wheel studs. Now these are the real business if you want powerful brakes and 16" wheels!

http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:03:21 pm by GP » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 06:46:01 pm »

Could you post a link to the article, please.

He has Jon.  The link is at the bottom of the original posting by the paperclip.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:48:53 pm by roy4matra » Logged

GP

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:15:34 am »

Hi GP,

could you post some facts about your brake-upgrade here ?

I have just made a brake-conversion on my Murena V6 with 280mm ventilated discs in the front and 256 ventilated discs in the rear. Brake-calipers are from Golf 4 V6 Syncro and Audi S3.

But would like to see what other did to get a better brake-performance.

Greetings from Denmark

Kai

Hi Kai,

You have done some very interesting engineering on your Murena and with a V6 installed upgraded brakes are most important.

Could you post some images of your brake conversions?

Cheers,

Graham
northmurena

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:44 pm »

Hi GP,

of course, i can do that. But it will need a little bit of time.
I have just sent in my self-made adapting-plates for the rear-brakes as a pattern to a manufacturer who is specialized in manufacturing components for brake-conversions.
They are making from my pattern a set what will get a number on it and a "TUEV-Zertifikat" (MOT-proven). I hope i will get the parts in the next 2-3 weeks.
When they come in, i can make some photos and description of the conversion.

Hilsen fra Danmark

Kai
Franglaisman

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:01 am »

Hi all,

A recently published M.E.C.U.K. magazine article below (next to the paper clip attachment) regarding my 2.2 Murena brake upgrades for your interest.........

Very cool.

The Murena's "80s Brakes" do take a bit of getting used too.  Cheesy
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »

The Murena's "80s Brakes" do take a bit of getting used too.  Cheesy

Why?

If the brakes are exactly as the manufacturer intended then the Murena brakes are brilliant.  I've had my Murena from new and never had any trouble with the way they work and they are so powerful that in an ultimate* heavy emergency stop they will lock all four wheels - you can't get any better without improving the tyre to road grip.  That is the limiting factor not the brakes themselves.  And the hand brake locks both wheels on the brake roller tester, which always surprises the M.o.T. tester!  If your brakes are not that good then don't blame the brakes, blame the poor maintenance of them.

If you want anti-lock brakes like a more modern car, then that is your choice, but I prefer my brakes without anti-lock thanks.  I can cadence brake when required but if you always allow the required room you should rarely require an anti-lock system and IMO it is all these features which have led to such poor driving today with people driving far too close or too fast for the conditions!  They should remove all these features and make people learn to drive safely again.

*I have added this description in case I gave the wrong impression.  Normally the Murena is very good at NOT locking its brakes, and you can brake with confidence, even in the wet, unlike many mid-engined cars.  However, I once experienced a motor cyclist who suddenly came in front of me from a side road, when I was travelling at speed (legitimately as it was an open road) and he had obviously misjudged my speed or didn't look properly and didn't see me!  I had to slam on my brakes and for a brief few seconds the Murena locked all four wheels!  Fortunately the road was dry and I was able to come off the brakes slightly and steer around the bike.

Roy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:43:22 am by roy4matra » Logged

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:57 pm »

Anti-lock brakes don't make a vast difference to the stopping distance anyway, their intended purpose is to maintain steering control under heavy braking.  Remember when the Mk3 Granada came out with anti-lock as standard?  The TV commercial showed the car steering round a tractor as it emerged from a gateway.  I think a having anti-lock brakes is giving a lot of people a false sense of security, with inevitable consequences.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: