| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bottom-end Bye Bye  (Read 19865 times)
beemerjay

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 10:14:15 am »

Glad to hear your car is back on the road

Now as far as I'm aware Matra built the espace prior to the Espace III? I wait to be corrected on that, but basically they built them whilst they were fitted with a longitudinal engine??

It just goes to show that as soon as the mainstream car manufacturer got their hands on it it became soooooooooo complicated

Previous "Matra" models were also, what has to be classified as very "Robust" engine and gearbox and wiring wise if maintained at all?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 05:56:22 pm »

Glad to hear your car is back on the road

Now as far as I'm aware Matra built the Espace prior to the Espace III? I wait to be corrected on that, but basically they built them whilst they were fitted with a longitudinal engine??

I need to correct you as Matra built the Espace III too (from 1997 to 2002) which can be identified by the warm galvanized chassis and glass fiber panels.

Phase III was a major upgrade to the series and a complete redesign of the driveline, suspension and electrical systems, which in the previous two models shared most characteristics.

Renault probably contributed with much of that, and Matra mostly with design (interior and exterior). But the handling is truly Matra in all respects of Phase III, with a low center of gravity and the trailing arm rear suspension which is identical (except for dimensions) to the original design from Phase I!

It just goes to show that as soon as the mainstream car manufacturer got their hands on it it became soooooooooo complicated

Phase III was thought to be very advanced in design as well as technology. Matra's tradition for innovation probably drove a good deal that development.

Previous "Matra" models were also, what has to be classified as very "Robust" engine and gearbox and wiring wise if maintained at all?

Well, wiring isn't exactly robust in any Espace's, but then again not worse than many other cars. Engine wise, yes they are very robust in the previous generations.

- Anders
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:20:19 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: