| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heat shield?  (Read 16569 times)
Colin

« on: August 21, 2017, 05:10:39 pm »

While comparing differences between my 1983 2.2 Murena and a 1.6, over the weekend, we noticed that there is a heat shield under the boot floor in this particular 1.6, but not on my 2.2.
I do not have any carpet on the boot floor, because it seems to get very hot, and I am a little concerned about it. Should there be a heat shield? Simon's catalogue appears to show one for the 1.6 but not the 2.2.
TELBOY

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:24:09 pm »

colin:- taken from "murena restore" blog

I noticed one on eBay yesterday with a nice picture:

www.ebay.de/itm/Matra-Murena-Luftleitplatte-/320998638698

The plate has puzzled many Murena owners. In the auction, they call it a "Luftleitplatte" indicating that it somehow directs air into the engine room, but that was not the reason it was fitted. It was fitted on request of the German TÜV approval body to protect the fuel tank and it was only fitted to Murenas sold in Germany. It may also have been fitted to all 480 Murena S. Unless your car was originally German and you're insisting on getting it back to it's original state in every way, I think you should forget about it

Cheers,
Anders

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:43 pm »

My parts catalogue mentions an "Ecran Thermique",   0032747800 fitted under the boot floor and is only listed for the 1.6, there is no equivalent listed for the 2.2.  Perhaps this is the part you're thinking of.  The 1.6 also has a heat shield fitted to the rear wall of the engine compartment, again only listed for the 1.6.
Colin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:27:24 pm »

Yes, I have the heat shield at the back if the engine compartment, but not under the boot floor. I may make something up, just to be safe. I had a Murena with a 1.9 in a last year, the reason it has been converted was the carpeting in the boot catching fire, due to the heat from the exhaust.
JL

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »

My 1.6 has heat shields in the engine compartment and under the floor, still gets warm but not hot.

Regards
John
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:59:39 pm »

While comparing differences between my 1983 2.2 Murena and a 1.6, over the weekend, we noticed that there is a heat shield under the boot floor in this particular 1.6, but not on my 2.2.
I do not have any carpet on the boot floor, because it seems to get very hot, and I am a little concerned about it. Should there be a heat shield? Simon's catalogue appears to show one for the 1.6 but not the 2.2.
On my 1981 2.2 there is a double wall that runs from the top, front of the boot and underneath it. At speed the vacuum behind the car will drag hot air from the engine compartment and out the back.
i thought that was standard on all Murenas as there is no other way of venting the hot air from the engine compartment, save for that small vent at the back of the right side side window. (On  the left side is the gas filler grill)

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Colin

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:40:51 pm »

Yes, I have this set up... I will have a look under all the cars that MECUK have at Blenheim Palace on Sunday... I may be being concerned about nothing. I have had the car for a couple of years, but it has only been on the road fro a few months.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 10:01:20 am »

Yes, I have this set up... I will have a look under all the cars that MECUK have at Blenheim Palace on Sunday... I may be being concerned about nothing. I have had the car for a couple of years, but it has only been on the road fro a few months.

Hello Colin,

As Jon has described, the Murena has air tunnels under the boot floor so as the car is driven along the hot air is drawn out through these.  This large gap also provides heat insulation between the silencer underneath and the boot floor.  In all the years I have had my car, the boot never gets anywhere near hot enough to catch fire.  Yes it does get warm, but I suspect more of that comes from the air passing through those vent tunnels than from the silencer.  The rear bulkhead of the engine compartment which is also the front wall of the boot will get warm from the proximity of the exhaust manifold but again it never gets that hot.  If you are carrying luggage that needs to remain cool and it is small enough, put it in a bag you can put in the front over the spare wheel.  If it is too large for there, then place it towards the rear of the boot and away from the bulkhead between the boot and engine compartment.  (however, if you have night clothes in a suitcase for an overnight stay, then having them warmed as you travel could be an advantage! Smiley )

I found that when I had the cast iron manifold it retained the heat more and the boot got slightly warmer but since having the four branch gas flowed manifold (with separate pipes) they cool easier and you can even wrap them with exhaust wrap which will further reduce the temperatures, so the boot will not be so hot.

Roy

suffolkpete
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 07:17:20 pm »

My early car doesn't have the heat shield under the floor, nor is there any sign of one having been fitted.  Is this a later modification?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: