| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Loose front end  (Read 10306 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: November 23, 2006, 12:02:55 pm »

These last days the Murena has been my ”daily driver”, and I must say that after I have gotten used to it, I simply LOVE this car.. and especially the inlet sound.. that will! Cost me several points on my licence I’m afraid, as it just seem that this car begs to be rev’ed hard.. in EVERY gear!
I shall try to restrain myself.. for the good of man..

One thing that I have noticed is that at higher speeds (120km/t and beyond)  the front end gets very loose and I have to give it my undivided attention!
I think the body roll’s too much during cornering, and the rear end is too softly sprung.

Can anyone relate to these things?
I will try to reduce the body roll with a set of Koni dampers, and also see if I can find a set of rear springs that are stiffer, but without lowering the rear.
Or should I just Nick Lennarts springs while I am stealing his gearshift anyway?   
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:47:39 pm »

The front end is very light on the Murena so the slightest instability is felt. I think there was an unbalanced front wheel on mine (fallen off weight) until I replaced the tyres and rims with winter-suitable-footwear. The missing weight was not noticeable at low cruising speeds. However, driving about 1500 km or so with this instability has ruined both tie rod ends (styrekugler på dansk) so there's still a great deal of instability at high speeds due to the wheels being out of tracking (and able to shake).  This will be fixed on Tuesday and tracking set, I'll let you know my motorway experiences then.

When I got my car, Roy warned me that I might just was well allocate a budget for speeding tickets with this car. He may be right Grin I haven't gotten one yet, though, and hope I won't, particularly not in the city where there's lots of pedestrians and cyclists to take care of Smiley

However, there's still lots of fun in the city with all the roadwork we have around Copenhagen - e.g. there's an all new chicane on Buddingevej, where it crosses the motor way bridge. This spot is good fun especially as it's crossing the original lanes so you have to be careful with the rear of the car there. You know, I have spun the car once in wet weather, and I'm not going to repeat that on a road!

Krede, you showed us a picture of the rear of your car hanging much lower on the left rear side than the right - I think you have a problem there as the rear end should sit identically both sides. Only the front should be 2mm different right and left. And it's only 2 mm!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:49:58 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:56:22 pm »

Krede, you showed us a picture of the rear of your car hanging much lower on the left rear side than the right - I think you have a problem there as the rear end should sit identically both sides. Only the front should be 2mm different right and left. And it's only 2 mm!
Another good reason to replace the rear springs  Wink...It could be that it is the very same spring the car left te factory with... in that case it is no wonder if they are a bit tired..
However... the car I not dragging to either side... it simply feels like it "lifts" the front end as if air got under the car
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 04:33:18 pm »

Another good reason to replace the rear springs  Wink...It could be that it is the very same spring the car left te factory with... in that case it is no wonder if they are a bit tired..
However... the car I not dragging to either side... it simply feels like it "lifts" the front end as if air got under the car

There is a lot of air passing under the car and this may actually create a bit of lift of the front at resonable speeds. One day I'll have my car fitted with position sensors on the front (and rear) suspension, this will make it possible to evaluate lift of the front and rear at different speeds - but at the moment it's very difficult to conclude anything!

Some time ago, Roy started advocating the fitting of 55-profile tyres on the front instead of the standard 60's. This will make the front sit about 9 mm lower which can affect the angle of attack of the wing err car, but with the knowledge I have of aerodynamics (which is theoretical), I don't think it makes any big difference however as the airflow under the car will not be affected much: First the underside of the car is not flat so the airflow is quite turbolent down there anyway, and all the air air passing through the radiator exits under the car. But it's difficult to estimate so it might still be a possibility. I've got 55's on my car.

I think I would look for mechanical faults first: tracking, unbalanced wheels, worn joints etc. I can certainly tell you than an unbalanced wheel was not felt at 80 km/h, but was at 110 for example!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:35:32 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 05:05:24 pm »

Im pretty sure my steering is 100%ok
But I think som stiffer springs will do alot of difference
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 10:52:49 pm »

The Murena does have a light front end, - which is why the steering is so slick. :-)

However, I don't think it becomes seriously loose, even at relatively high speeds - say up to 170 km/h (no, I'm not telling you where I did that last, people may be listening :-) )

I'd say check tyres, tracking, suspension wear and shock absorbers (in that order).

That said, as you know my car stands significantly higher with its rear end, whereas the front is spot-on, so the whole car stands at another angle - which may cange aerodynamics slightly - but I don't think aerodynamics will lift the car much at speeds under 180-200 km/h

PS: My springs and absorbers are original - no changes made.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Will Falconer

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 10:09:18 am »

Im pretty sure my steering is 100%ok
But I think som stiffer springs will do alot of difference

Have you checked the bottom ball joints on the front? They are critical in keeping the handling tight.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 11:31:57 am »

Yep!... they are ok..
But when driving by shop windows(and we all ´check out the car when we do that... c'mon.. admitt it!!  Grin) I've noticed that the car seems a bit tail heavy even when not accelerating, so my guess is that the springs are simply worn. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: